FS Protection PC Release 211

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

New features:

Antivirus:

• Ransomware protection setting added to DeepGuard settings page
  • Firewall settings page changed: the "Advanced network protection" checkbox has been changed to a switch.

Browsing Protection:

• SafeSearch enabled on SAFE mode

Fixed issues:

Antivirus:

• Ransomware protection does not produce error for invalid folder selection (PBL-3182)
  • Scanning - virus scan might not to be detecting all infections (CTS-98873)
  • Ransomware settings does not lock GUI when settings are read-only (CTS-100299)
  • Ransomware restore default status not always correct (PBL-3183)

Browsing Protection:

• IE slowness/unstability fix by temporarily reverting back to TP197 IE extension version. This has some known noncritical bugs which have been fixed to latest extension. We will change back to latest extension once it's made stable. (CTS-100577, CTS-100589)

• Use black list even if security cloud check fails. (CTS-100534)

• Rare search result ratings graphical glitch on Firefox. (PBL-3164)

• Download loop after allowing certain content type from block page. (PBL-3220, CTS-98590)

• Banking Protection may interrupt Outlook/other apps even if "do not interrupt my active connections" is selected. (CTS-100048)

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for release!

Just interesting:

• SafeSearch enabled on SAFE mode ( SafeSearch enhances browsing protection ).

I already with installed TP211 - but does such feature/option is released already?

I did not manage/understand how it works (or where it possible to tweak; or how to switch to SAFE mode; but I did not try to check meanings like 'safe mode' as disabled extensions/addons run). Or does it with meanings that F-Secure SAFE will be with such option (but not  fs protection as technology-preview/beta mode)?

Thanks!

• [Deleted User]

You need to create a new child profile (e.g.,under 18 age group, content filter enabled) and do a clean installation with the new user profile, then Safesearch feature is enabled. If content filter disabled, Safesearch feature also disabled.

• Ukko

@Fengpingwrote:

You need to create a new child profile (e.g.,under 18 age group, content filter enabled) and do a clean installation with the new user profile, then Safesearch feature is enabled. If content filter disabled, Safesearch feature also disabled.

Hello,

Thanks for explanation!

I will try to do so.

My try with kids profile (even not fresh - but freshly chosen) was about "18+ group".

All other was during my tries (so, only group "18+" is difference)

Sorry for my replies, else one time.

// yes, it works with "7-12" (as example) profile.

Thanks!

We missed one important fixed bug from the release notes.

Fixed: When launching network installer, user receives error "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)."

Huge thanks to @Ukko for noticing the connection with Windows Defender settings. This pointed us to the right direction to figuring out this issue. I can't share the details, but the root cause was one of the more bizarre ones I have seen.

(F-Secure R&D)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

• Lord_Ami
    Lord_Ami Posts: 70 Active Engager

I just wanted to add that this beta has been running really solid and I have not received any new Ransomware protection "false positives". Smiley LOL

• Ukko

Hello,

I want to add that my reply, probably, was with broken information.

Or there comes some changes (?! not likely). And I think that 'success' with active SafeSearch was just 'cache'-stuck after manual tries to activate it and then after installing with "7-12"-profile it was still there (even I check situation with multiple browsers if I remember good).

Because my current (today) experience: I reinstall FS Protection with noted system and choose profile "18+". With Internet Explorer 11 Safe Mode was enabled (looks like by me. manually). So, I decided to re-check it with totally clean installation and totally fresh kids profile (except 'wording'/name of profile) for "7-12" (as example). Content blocker is activated/enabled (with 'one random' unchosen category - while all others - chosen).

Result: Internet Explorer 11, Firefox 59.0.2(?), Microsoft Edge and Google Search (as example!?) was not about Safesearch Safe(strict) Mode.

If there was not any changes with FS Protection - maybe my previous experience was also about such stuck (even if I thought that with "7-12" profile it works). OR maybe I do not understand where is expected to check Safesearch and safe mode (by which steps).

Sorry for my reply.

Thanks!

• [Deleted User]

Due to customer report we reverted IE browser extension to earlier stable version (2.197.6515), which does not include the Safe search implementation, so good catch Ukko :) But Firefox and Chrome should work.

• Ukko

Hello,

Thanks for your response and explanation.

I did not check with Google Chrome (maybe I will try to do it later) - but with current my experience -> Firefox 59.0.2 64bit also with ?! troublestate.

With my feelings - with previous reply I tried with Firefox too and it works (but maybe it also was 'cache'-stuck after manual checks how it should be visible that Safesearch is enabled). Changes between -> Firefox is upgraded to another build, there is clean installation of FS Protection. But because Firefox should work -> I will try to recheck situation more about my experience. Sorry for temporary feedback.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.