Freedome and Counhive

BusterKeaton
BusterKeaton Posts: 1 New Member

According to today’s news in Finnish newspaper one of the Finnish alt right websites was used to mine Monero crypto currency via Coinhive. F-Secure Senior Xpert Jarno Niemela as interviewed for Helsingin Sanomat and he said that F-Secure doesn’t have policy regarding Counhive because they don’t know if user gave consent for mining.

Let me ask you guys if you have ever seen a website that asks user permission for crypto currency mining? I thought so. 

If possible, please block Coinhive and similar services in Freedome. I believe it won’t be too difficult for F-Secure. If someone wants to give permission for mining he / she can switch off Freedome. 

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

BusterKeaton wrote:

According to today’s news in Finnish newspaper one of the Finnish alt right websites was used to mine Monero crypto currency via Coinhive. F-Secure Senior Xpert Jarno Niemela as interviewed for Helsingin Sanomat and he said that F-Secure doesn’t have policy regarding Counhive because they don’t know if user gave consent for mining.

Let me ask you guys if you have ever seen a website that asks user permission for crypto currency mining? I thought so. 

If possible, please block Coinhive and similar services in Freedome. I believe it won’t be too difficult for F-Secure. If someone wants to give permission for mining he / she can switch off Freedome. 

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm only F-Secure user (their home solutions).

Based on brief-search for noted term -> two of potential URLs for such 'service' are rated as harmful by my installation of F-Secure SAFE.

Also, about direct scripts or applications -> there available such F-Secure description for one of threats:

https://www.f-secure.com/sw-desc/application_bitcoinminer.shtml

Maybe your quote was about potential meanings that F-Secure does not have policy about this certain service (which?! supposed to inform users about this activities; Or do ask user's permissions).

And then -> owner of website should to add certain scripts.

Most likely, that more often websites (normal ones) will be hacked and then exploiting by someone (adding this scripts and so). So, with such view -> it is unexpected and should be blocked as malicious actions. But not possible to create generic policy - if it expected that certain websites do use it as potential 'legal' steps.

Does it was noted that F-Secure did not detect this certain example-situation by web-traffic or real-time scanning protections? Or just discussion about concern and potential pattern of some websites (replace advertisements). Additionally, does it was hacked website?

Thanks!

• Näsäviisas
    Näsäviisas Posts: 784 Superuser
    And here is the story of Helsingin Sanomat

Sorry @Ukko, only in Finnish.

https://www.hs.fi/teknologia/art-2000005514693.html

Postscript:
    Actual worries: Meltdown and Spectre.
    And all the updates...
    Have a nice weekend!
    Näsäviisas
This discussion has been closed.