Can I shut down App & Browser Control in Windows Defender Security Center?

Jack
Jack Posts: 69 Active Engager

I have a question, is it okay to leave my App & Browser Control turned off in the Windows Defender Security Center?  It seems to interfere with some of the programs I am running

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Just as clarification-ask.

Did you mean something like settings/options for SmartScreen? Or something else (with recent Windows 10 -> available more security tweaks to system configuration).

Thanks!

• Jack
    Jack Posts: 69 Active Engager

No, I copied the words exactly.  It's a part of Windows Defender Security Center called App & Browser Control.  I have it turned off and am hoping it's not necessary, I have malwarebytes and F Secure  internet security

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Jack wrote:

No, I copied the words exactly.  It's a part of Windows Defender Security Center called App & Browser Control.  I have it turned off and am hoping it's not necessary, I have malwarebytes and F Secure  internet security

Hello,

OK.

If this is system's own feature -> it always possible that such step will reduce your security status. At least, default system protection will be with less layers. But if your proper experience with other software is broken - possible to disable it, of course. But I feel that good to contact Microsoft Support and ask them about advice or potential fixes.

With Windows 10 Home -> I maybe did not find options to disable entire "App & Browser Control" under Windows Defender Security Center. That's why I asked about "Smart Screen" (which possible to tweak/disable/enable for certain options).

For example, next description with Windows 10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4013218/windows-10-app-browser-control-in-windows-defender

also with such view and with potential more information about "App and Browser Control" (as SmartScreen abilities).

My own feelings: if your experience about valid and trusted applications/software -> enabled SmartScreen is not necessary. I able to suspect that it's protection against unknown and potential rare suspicious applications (only); and network-connectivity based feature.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.