Initial Trial Gripes

After lurking in the beta program for awhile and then going to Kaspersky, I reconsidering F-Secure for both my computers and my grandfather (who frequently gets into trouble with adware and drive-by sites). However, 3 problems I found in the beta still remain.

1: Browser protection for Android only works for the F-Secure browser on newer phones. Both of us have new Motorolas and I also have an LG G2 for movies and occasional development. All three browsers (Chrome, Android, and F-Secure) are protected only on the latter. No other AV I have tried, except Lookout which uses a partial VPN, has this issue.

2: Family rules can be set up for the main account holder's PC, but not their phones (which must be delegated to a child). I have no Idea why this is a thing, but as there is no limit on users in MyF-Secure I made up two to cover the difference.

3: Updates seem to dissappear from the update list after being installed. This was far worse in the beta version, but things like Ultralight and the Network driver will sometimes show up in the update list and sometimes not.

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm only F-Secure user.

Browser protection for Android only works for the F-Secure browser on newer phones. Both of us have new Motorolas and I also have an LG G2 for movies and occasional development. All three browsers (Chrome, Android, and F-Secure) are protected only on the latter. No other AV I have tried, except Lookout which uses a partial VPN, has this issue.

Did you mean that Browsing Protection only works with F-Secure Safe Browser OR that it works on certain Android builds (phone-models)?

Indeed, by design, F-Secure SAFE with 'full' support only for their 'safe browser'. But how it noted with:

https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/safe-android/2017/en/task_37A7F4D600F7491F95F344BD87627D9A-safe-android-2017-en

does any other browsers are listed with your experience? If not -> maybe support-status based on certain points/abilities to provide certain security features (maybe based on privacy?!-points, for example).

Even with kid's profile -> possible to use only Safe Browser (currently).

Family rules can be set up for the main account holder's PC, but not their phones (which must be delegated to a child). I have no Idea why this is a thing, but as there is no limit on users in MyF-Secure I made up two to cover the difference.

It's a little be strange for me too, but my experience of their response -> that it will be with such design (with Android-platform: Parental Control / Family Rules features like Content Blocker or Time limits possible to set up only for kid's profile). Maybe it reasonable partly, but I prefer to keep using Content Blocker with any devices.

Updates seem to dissappear from the update list after being installed. This was far worse in the beta version, but things like Ultralight and the Network driver will sometimes show up in the update list and sometimes not.

Does it about Windows-platform?

If so -> Network Interception Framework (NIF-update string) should be visible only some minutes after clean installation (then it hidden). Such design start be after switch to "Ultralight"-core/design.

With other meanings -> after upgrade/update from one build to another build -> possible to get more updates-strings under list of updates. // by the way - I'm not sure about current clean installation with stable solution (mainly words based on upgraded Stable SAFE or based on technology-preview/beta SAFE).

With clean installation, most likely, should be visible something like: F-Secure Aquarius, Hydra, Virgo, Lynx, DeepGuard DB Updates, Ultralight Core, USS, Ultralight Updater Updates and Online Safety module.

Thanks!

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Just as my own feedback (addition to my previous reply).

I tried with clean/fresh installation of F-Secure SAFE beta (technology preview) and Google Chrome;

With main profile (not a "kid's profile") -> Google Chrome listed under "Safe Browser" feature and some of features works with this browser.

For example, notification that opened 'known-safe-banking'-website; notification about potential risk to open malicious/suspicious-rated websites; Maybe something else or something with limitations.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info