Error message: your computer is not protected : protection malfunction please restart you computer h

Hi

I'm getting this message despite restarting the computer.

Can someone help me get this product working please?

thanks 

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Whilst you've done the most obvious thing I would have suggested already, by rebooting your machine, there are a couple of other things I would initially try.

Firstly, have you checked that your subscription is still valid?

Secondly, have you checked that you have all of the current Windows updates?

Thirdly, do you have any other antivirus software on the machine which could be conflicting with F-Secure?

It might also be worth checking that all of the F-Secure updates have been successfully installed. If you need help with that, come back and let us know.

• Graham18
    Graham18 Posts: 4 Observer

Hi,

I'm getting the same message appearing on my PC. Even though I have restarted the PC.

It seems that the virus definitions are not updating as it says its updating them but it just sits at 0% all the time on the download clock thing. Windows updates are all up to date and so are the F-Secure. What is wrong?

• PaddyWillard
    PaddyWillard Posts: 8 Observer

I do have Windows Defender anti-virus on too. Does that need to be turned off?

• Simon

Yes, Windows Defender needs to be disabled to prevent problems.  

• Simon

@Graham18 wrote:

Hi,

I'm getting the same message appearing on my PC. Even though I have restarted the PC.

It seems that the virus definitions are not updating as it says its updating them but it just sits at 0% all the time on the download clock thing. Windows updates are all up to date and so are the F-Secure. What is wrong?

How long has it been at 0%?  Sometimes just leaving it be for a while is all it needs, as some updates take longer to install.  Also, see above re Windows Defender.

• Simon
    If you still have no luck after disabling Windows Defender, you might want to try the FSAUA-RESET TOOL, followed by the FSDBUPDATE FOR WINDOWS, which can be found here:

https://www.f-secure.com/en_GB/web/home_gb/support-tools
  • PaddyWillard

Turning off Defender hasn't helped so I will try the tools as suggested

• PaddyWillard

Have to quickly comment that being met with a root directory screen to access the tools is a shocking solution. If you don't know which one to click on, how would you know?

• PaddyWillard

This is where you end up if you click the FSAUA-Reset tool

Index of /support/tools/FSAUA-Reset

• Simon

I'm on my phone at the moment, so I can't actually try them, but do you see download buttons next to the tools?  Do those not work as expected?

Screenshot_20171027-114835.png

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Under "ftp"-page:

size        ||   file-name

--------------------------

183,776  ||  fsaua-reset.exe

86,043  ||  fsaua-reset.zip

1,786      || readme.txt

for FSAUA-RESET TOOL required to choose executable file "fsaua-reset.exe";

zipped file "fsaua-reset.zip" can be useful for something else (and required to unzip it).

text-file "readme.txt" can be as intrusction/description for usage.

Do you mean that files are visible for you? Or your experience about something else (as broken-view of category)?

Thanks!

• PaddyWillard

Nope I'm saying that those are the files that you see when you click on FSAUA-RESET TOOL. I would think that this would throw a lot of people. I know to use the .exe tool but not everyone will.

Anyhow, I've now used both these tools and still have the same error.

I'm not impressed with this tool

• Graham18

Mine appears to have fixed itself after I accepted Parental/family controls update.

It appears to have come up with the error message as I had not completed the request from F-Secure.

• PaddyWillard

Where do I accept that, I can't see anything being asked of me for that.

What I have noticed is that I cannot connect to get updates

In Tools -> Check for Updates : I continually get a failed connect

2017-10-27 12:14:19.947 [2090.2114] I: Connection failed
    2017-10-27 13:14:10.621 [2090.2114] I: Connecting to http://guts2.sp.f-secure.com

Is this the source of my problem?

• Graham18

They sent me an email some months ago about it. I dont have kids, so have no need for parental/family controls I ignored it, to my mistake.

If you have no luck with this I would suggest uninstalling F-secure and re-installing again.

• Ukko

PaddyWillard wrote:

Where do I accept that, I can't see anything being asked of me for that.

What I have noticed is that I cannot connect to get updates

In Tools -> Check for Updates : I continually get a failed connect

2017-10-27 12:14:19.947 [2090.2114] I: Connection failed
    2017-10-27 13:14:10.621 [2090.2114] I: Connecting to http://guts2.sp.f-secure.com

Is this the source of my problem?

Usually, such 'postponed' prompt can be visible under F-Secure Logo tray menu -> "Show messages".

If such window not about any notifications -> maybe your experience about something else; OR it was denied already. With such situation -> indeed good to try reinstallation (uninstall/install F-Secure solution);

But, what will be if you will try to open this URL (connection to) under your browser? It should be with generic 'words' about Unauthorized access. Does it work with your experience? Or this URL is not work under browser too (as Page not Found/Or something do block it)?

Can be useful to try contact F-Secure Support Channel (Chat as example):

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/contact-support

For proper investigation about potential reasons for repeat it. But if possible - good to re-check - does such connection trouble did not come after experience with reset-tools.

Thanks!

• PaddyWillard

No messages showing.

I have un-installed and re-installed

Still the same message and inability to connect to updates.

Currently showing last successful update 07-Feb-06

When I try that URL in browser I get the following

F-Secure Automatic Update Server. Unauthorized access is monitored and strictly forbidden."

Any other suggestions out there?

• Ukko

PaddyWillard wrote:

No messages showing.

I have un-installed and re-installed

Still the same message and inability to connect to updates.

Currently showing last successful update 07-Feb-06

When I try that URL in browser I get the following

F-Secure Automatic Update Server. Unauthorized access is monitored and strictly forbidden."

Any other suggestions out there?

So, maybe some troubles with system time (?! even it should be known for you).

Also -> good to re-check that indeed all available system updates are installed (what system/OS there?).

Maybe good to launch some double-check scanners (like HitmanPro; or Malwarebytes trial-time solution and their tools) as there is not any known 'threats'.

But -> when you did clean installation -> does list of 'Updates' (Common Settings from tray-menu -- "Updates"-tab) with installed modules and databases (?!). And what logs will say there? Does connections was good? Or your clean installation with stuck about installing 'databases/modules' as first time.

Does there can be any other security solutions under system? As re-check else one time (except Windows Defender). Or something like proxy?

Or even - when chat is available - good to contact direct F-Secure Support Channels:

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/contact-support

for certified investigation and help.

• Graham18

Did you use the proper F-secure uninstall & re-install tool? If you just removed it from your computer using the computers remove software tool this causes problems when re-installing.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info