Whitelist certain websites

Noramar
Noramar Posts: 2 New Member

So I had this question and looked at the FAQ, which says this:

"Yes, it is possible to whitelist web sites. In the URL Protection settings you can define hosts, domains or exact URLs that will be excluded from web scanning and categorization."

But how do I get to the URL Protection settings? I'm trying Freedome on my iMac and can't find any such settings. And, not being able to whitelist a few websites means that I have to turn it off every time I go to these websites and I don't always remember to turn it back on, thereby rendering it useless. I haven't even tried to install it on my iPhone or iPad yet, since I first want to make sure that it's something worth using and paying for.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide. I tried to look for a "contact us" form or something like that, but there doesn't really seem to be any kind of actual help, which is a pretty big negative for any software I'm considering purchasing. There really needs to be a way to get help from an actual human at some point.

Again, thanks.

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,619 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm also only F-Secure user (their home solutions);

Your quote from this Knowledgebase-article (?):

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Business/Is-it-possible-to-exclude/ta-p/92760

And how I do able to understand: this is about "Cloud Protection for Salesforce" (Bussiness-solution?!);

Your experience about F-Secure Freedome (and maybe Home version of this), where probably not possible to whitelist certain website under Freedome-settings;

But there is option to transfer URL to F-Secure Labs with F-Secure SAS:

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/submit-a-sample#sample-url

Where possible to check option "I want to give more details about this sample and to be notified of the analysis results" and choose certain categories ("Freedome Related Trouble" or "Harmless webpage is blocked" --> ""Harmless webpage is blocked; f/p"" or ""Freedome""); Also it will be helpful for receiving response/explanation;

Just because F-Secure Freedome is more as VPN-software/service; Possible do not turn off Freedome fully, but disable only "Browsing Protection"-feature under Freedome UI/Settings; Temporary... during visit certain websites which marked harmful/suspicious-rated wrongly (and before re-rate it by F-Secure Labs); But maybe by "turn off" you meant this one step (and not "turn off" Freedome at all) - if so... sorry for this suggestion;

Thanks!

• Noramar
    Noramar Posts: 2 New Member

Just because F-Secure Freedome is more as VPN-software/service; Possible do not turn off Freedome fully, but disable only "Browsing Protection"-feature under Freedome UI/Settings; Temporary... during visit certain websites which marked harmful/suspicious-rated wrongly (and before re-rate it by F-Secure Labs); But maybe by "turn off" you meant this one step (and not "turn off" Freedome at all) - if so... sorry for this suggestion;

When I click on the Freedome icon on the Mac's menu bar it has an ON OFF setting just for "Protection". So then I click on Open Freedome to see if there are additional settings and this seems to be under Tracking Protection and it says that this feature is not currently in use because Freedome is "OFF". 

For right now, I'll just turn it on and off as I need to, but I'm not very likely to actually purchase this product when the 30-day trial is over. I was only trying it because it was being offered by my Internet provider (Comcast/Xfinity).

Thanks for trying to help. It's always appreciated! 

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,619 Superuser

When I click on the Freedome icon on the Mac's menu bar it has an ON OFF setting just for "Protection". So then I click on Open Freedome to see if there are additional settings and this seems to be under Tracking Protection and it says that this feature is not currently in use because Freedome is "OFF". 

For right now, I'll just turn it on and off as I need to, but I'm not very likely to actually purchase this product when the 30-day trial is over. I was only trying it because it was being offered by my Internet provider (Comcast/Xfinity).

Thanks for trying to help. It's always appreciated! 

Hello,

I'm not friendly with Mac-platform and I'm not sure how it works there. And sorry for my long reply:

Spoiler

But with Windows-platform -> yes... main feature also called as "Protection" under Freedome (with turn On/Off abilities);

And then when Freedome is ON -> possible to use features like "Tracking Protection" and "Browsing Protection" (which also can be "On/Off" and possible to switch it under Freedome UI when Freedome VPN is active);

With your experience -- maybe -- blocking websites based on "Browsing Protection";

Available such general Online Documentation description (additionally to Knowledgebase article) -> where we able to read words that Tracking Protection also can be a reason (probably if website just do not work; but Freedome do not create any blockpage notifications);

Next knowledgebase article: this one -> with label "Freedome for Mac" (so.. probably Freedome for Mac also should be with "Browsing Protection" feature and not only "Tracking Protection");

With any of meanings: workarounds (or fix-steps) with your situation:

--> if website is blocked, but most likely there is safe/valid website; Good to transfer URL to F-Secure SAS:

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/submit-a-sample#sample-url

will be useful for all Freedome users;

--> OR/and possible to turn off (switch to "OFF") features like "Browsing Protection or Tracking Protection" under Freedome UI (when it active) and re-check.. if possible to open website;

This is only as workaround until F-Secure Labs do re-rate it (because another harmful/suspicious-rated pages also will be allowed);

But this is partly more good than turn off Freedome (VPN is disabled and not only certain Browsing/Tracking Protection feature);

Also -> some of websites and services able to block VPN-traffic (or restrict it); Some of companies (websites/services) with statements about such technologies and prevent their users to use it;

What about other meanings: F-Secure Freedome VPN is good software/service for such meanings (VPN as secure layer under 'strange' public Wi-Fi; or when required virtual location); Where "Browsing and Tracking Protection" features as additional layer for users; I able to think that most trouble with Freedome is price (but compare to another VPN-solutions - it can be OK);

So -> good if your decision about Freedome will be not only based on such experience with "lack of whitelist certain websites"; Even I also do not have much reasons to use/purchase Freedome. :)

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info