Windows requires a digitally signed driver

jjsmith
jjsmith Posts: 1 New Member

I installed Freedome VPN on Win 7 Pro 64bit machine and I get the 'windows requires a digitally signed driver' error message. 

Driver: TAP-Windows Virtual Network Driver (NDIS6.0)

Service: Freedome TAP driver

Publisher: The OpenVPN Project

Any help getting the driver updated and working is appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi jjsmith,

May I know if this is a new version of Freedome installed on your computer? Could you provide us a screenshot of the error meesage which will help us to identify the issue better?

• Esamies
    Esamies Posts: 2 New Member

I have the exact same problem with a 64-bit WIn 7 Ultimate SP1. The Freedome installer was freshly downloaded from your site so it's definitely the newest version.

The error message looks like this:

Error message

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello Esamies, 

We double-checked our installers and all should be OK.

Could you confirm the version number you are trying to install? You should be able to see it from the installation dialog windows.

Is it a fresh installation or an update?

In order to troubleshoot better this problem, you might want to open a support request and provide the logs under %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\F-Secure\logs\Freedome for analysis.

• Esamies
    Esamies Posts: 2 New Member

The version is 1.2.2729.0 and it is a fresh installation.

• Mickelr
    Mickelr Posts: 2 New Member

I just tried to install F-Secure on my Windows 7 Home Premium installation with SP1 and received the same message "Windows requires a digitally signed driver". I do not see a new connection in the network connections and on trying to activate protection, I get the message "VPN initialization error" --> "Your encrypted VPN connection cannot be create because of issues with network configuration (netsh.exe fails). Please check that you have IPv6 traffic enabled. The checkboxes are enabled for my wireless adapter and my LAN adapter. I checked the regedit entry and I do not have 'DisabledComponents' at all in the parameters section, so I cannot set that to either 1 or 0.

Since, this issue is reported multiple times now, my guess is that installation is not as 'simple' as F-Secure claims. I suggest urgently to look into this matter asap, since I am testing ExpressVPN, as well... although they are more expensive, this competitor does the job as advertised seamlessly.

• bandy_hobgoblin
    bandy_hobgoblin Posts: 2 New Member

Yup, same issue here. I previously had the freedome software running no problem. Since upgrading to 1.2.2729.0 its stopped working. Been back & forth with F-Secure support (including watching while they remotely connect to my PC to uninstall /reinstall. After last attempt I decided to reformat my machine to fresh install of Win 7 64 bit.

I get the same issue with TAP driver failing due to it being not digitally signed.

There is a work around to get it to install / run. If you reboot Windows & press f8 to get boot options you can select to 'disable driver signing'. This will let you install (note you will still see the error pop up) and it will work.

The issue is that this is a once per boot option & next time you restart the driver will be missing from your network p& the VPN wont work.

I rang back to F-secure support but the guys manning the phones aren't much help so have had to elevate it to back office.

Come on F-secure, sort this out, having to hack the driver using something like Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider should not be necessary. 

• Mickelr
    Mickelr Posts: 2 New Member

@bandy_hobgoblin wrote:

Yup, same issue here. I previously had the freedome software running no problem. Since upgrading to 1.2.2729.0 its stopped working. Been back & forth with F-Secure support (including watching while they remotely connect to my PC to uninstall /reinstall. After last attempt I decided to reformat my machine to fresh install of Win 7 64 bit.

I get the same issue with TAP driver failing due to it being not digitally signed.

There is a work around to get it to install / run. If you reboot Windows & press f8 to get boot options you can select to 'disable driver signing'. This will let you install (note you will still see the error pop up) and it will work.

The issue is that this is a once per boot option & next time you restart the driver will be missing from your network p& the VPN wont work.

I rang back to F-secure support but the guys manning the phones aren't much help so have had to elevate it to back office.

Come on F-secure, sort this out, having to hack the driver using something like Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider should not be necessary. 

Are you serious!!!??? I was already baffled over their level in this community, I was baffled over the way they overlooked the Win7 security and I am extremely baffled over reading about their level of support in your contribution. 

I am definitely not paying for this kind of service and will move to another company.

• [Deleted User]

Hi, 

Could you try to install manually this Windows patch and, after that, try to install Freedome again.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/3033929

It seems to have resolved the problem for some of the people affected by this problem.

• bandy_hobgoblin
    bandy_hobgoblin Posts: 2 New Member

This appears to be what resolved the issue in my case (After today I recvied an update to my case with someone suggesting I install this).

• jussikkaas
    jussikkaas Posts: 3 New Member

I have the same problem as this guy with w7 ultimate 64bit. The windows update provided in this thread doesn't install and says its "not applicable" to my computer.

How can I resolve this?

• [Deleted User]

Hi jussikkaas, 

There are multiple versions of the patch. Did you make sure to take the one for your specific operating system?  

• Rawrie
    Rawrie Posts: 1 New Member

Thank you! This saved some of my nerves at Least Smiley Tongue

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info