Full scan gets stuck every time!

Options

Program: F-secure SAFE and internet security, F-secure 15.2

System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, Service Pack 1

Hardware: 8 Gb RAM, Intel Core i5-3570K 3,40 GHz

So, ever since I've bought F-secure there has been a problem with the full system/computer scan - feature, which includes a system scan, rootkit scan etc. I leave it running and when I come back some hours later, and it is stuck on some random file and won't scan any further. I usually wait about half an hour to see if it gets unstuck, but this never happens. I have to close the scan window. And yes, I have "Scan inside compressed files" and "Use advanced heuristics" ticked, but even those shouldn't slow the scan to a stop.

Now I would understand if it's some weird filetype or otherwise a huge file, but it usually isn't. Let me give you some examples from the past year or so:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\Jr7\lib\rt.jar

C:\Program Files (x86)\Asrock Utility\AXTU\Bin\ASRXFastRAM.exe or AsrXTU.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\39.0.2171.95\Installer

C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command & Conquer First Decade\.... (not sure what, the rest of the file path isn't shown in the scan window)

C:\Program Files\7-Zip\License.txt

And those were only the most recent locations I remembered to save. When I scan there locations with a manual scan, that is I click the file or folder and "scan for viruses..." and so on, it does so perfectly fine. It's just the full scan when it gets stuck on a file or folder.

And considering the full scan seems to be the only way to do a rootkit and system scan, I can never be sure my computer is completely free of viruses, rootkits and other suspicious programs. I can't figure out how to fix this other than excluding more and more files from the scan, but that starts getting ridiculous if the program keeps getting stuck to different files. It would be so much better if there was an option to skip a file being scanned in the active scan window.

How do I fix this? This is starting to get extremely annoying.

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    Options
    I had this with a much earlier version of F-Secure (2007, I think), and never did get to the bottom of it, but it seemed to indicate some sort of glitch between the software and the hardware on my particular machine.

All I can suggest is that you send in a support request, giving as much detail as you can, and attaching an FSDIAG so that the guys can take a proper look at your system.

Come back to us if you need help with any of that.
This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info