F-secure pop up happens in middle of online purchasing

Hi,

I am a Virgin Media customer who just recently started using F-secure.  Today I tried to make some online purchases of concert tickets. 

On one occasion, after I had entered all the details and clicked to purchase, HALF an F-secure pop-up appeared.  The text on the page was cut in half and I could only read the left side of the page, so I'm not sure what it was telling me.  I noticed a blue box at the top of the screen and eventually clicked something that made the pop up go away.

On another occasion when I clicked purchase, I think the process to verify my card started (Verisign), but immediately the screen flipped to a 404 forbidden screen with nothing useful on it. I have never seen one of these before. Eventually I clicked back on the browser and got a message saying my purchase was successful (without the Verisign check taking place). 

Neither of these behaviours was helpful, and if this is going to continue I will stop using F-secure.  What is going on and how is it supposed to work?  I don't see how anything here is either helpful or protects me in any way.  I am using Firefox.

Comments

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

Very strange behavior. If you previously had Virgin Media Security installed, that might not have been completely removed. Read this:

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security/emails-not-showing-pictures/m-p/40075#M7228

• Blackcat
    Blackcat Posts: 503 Influencer

The blubox at the top of your screen was probably F-Secure's banking Protection; http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security-for-PC/How-to-use-Banking-Protection/ta-p/30740

However, as NikK says, the rest of your observations do not seem normal behaviour of F-Secure and the recommendation would be a complete removal of Virgin Media's AV followed by a fresh install of F-Secure.  

First, run the VMS uninstaller to fully remove VMS, reboot and then install F-Secure. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Internet-security/Virgin-Media-Security-10-FAQ/td-p/910393

• Thanks very much for the reply Nikk.  I presume you meant I should use  UserCommunity-Uu-RpsUU.exe.  I have run that and will have to wait until next time I make an online purchase to see what happens.  

Can you give me an idea of what normal behaviour should look like?  For example when purchasing a concert ticket online are any F-secure pop ups supposed to appear and if so what is their purpose? 

Best Regards  

• Thankyou Blackcat, I will try this. 

• NikK

Yes, and as always be aware of instructions for restart or reboot as that can be an important step of an install or un-install to finish.

The Banking Protection flyer is perhaps the only "non-normal" pop-up window. When you enter a banking or pay service web site, the Banking Protection starts(unless you've disabled it in Online Safety settings). It displays a message at the top of the screen. You can just minimize it if it's blocking any crucial visual part of the browser.

Banking Protections is an extra security layer and acts like an outbound firewall, blocking all other network connections from your computer while you're doing banking stuff. This is just an extra protection in case any unknown and undetected malware tries to send your private information during your banking session.

• Blackcat

"Can you give me an idea of what normal behaviour should look like?  For example when purchasing a concert ticket online are any F-secure pop ups supposed to appear and if so what is their purpose? "

Top of the page flyer, as shown, should be seen when logging into your banking site or carrying out PayPal transactions.

SnapCrab_NoName_2014-1-1_17-59-36_No-00.png

Banking Protection elevates security settings during online banking sessions for extra protection, particularly against Banking Trojans.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Just to add, once you've seen the full banner once, the text part with the white background will not show again.

• I to am a Virgin customer and since I signed up for the new security package I have been inundated with pop ups.It is years since i was last bothered with these advertising jerks(A nuisance blocking up the screen in the midst of something you are doing)If this continues I will be going for another security package.I have spoken to tech support at Virgin but no improvement.. 

• Blackcat

Hi Johnathon

can you give us some idea when you are seeing the pop-ups and what they look like?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee
    Hi Jonathon!

This doesn't sound like typical behavior for F-Secure products, so as Blackcat suggested, please provide screenshots or more information so we can see what's causing this.
  • I have taken note and applied the applied the update, now the security is locked and I need to remove a programme?

I think my next step will be to remove F-Secure from my system and get security from a different package.THe tech Support has not been helpful and i have reported the matter to Virgin.com who first introduced me to F-Secure.I am not alone in this problem as my daughter let the tech spport take remote control of her laptop and then left her virually and send you will have top take the laptop into a workshop to be fixed .(That is after he had spent 30mins looking into the complaint and not fixing the problem)

• NikK

That's unfortunate, but we can't help you if you don't provide us with better information about these pop-ups. A screenshot is the best option. When you write a new post, click the image button in the toolbar above, browse your computer and select the image containing the screenshot. Then click Insert Image.

The pop-ups could be Adware or perhaps part of Banking Protection, or something completely different. We have no idea, so how could we help you?! Blackcat provided an example of the "pop-up" from F-Secure Banking Protection, so that should be easy to identify.

What do you mean with "the security is locked"?

• Stephan
    Stephan Posts: 340 Influencer

Hello Jonathon,

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your experience.

I'd like to investigate your and your daughters tech support experience.

Did you contact Virgin Media or us (F-Secure)?

Could you please let me know which email addresses you and your daughter used to get in touch?

Please do not post email addresses publicly, please send them to me via private message.

To do that, click on my username. On the right side you'll find a box labeled "Contact Me". In that is a link "Send this user a private message".

In reply to your initial question about advertising pop-ups: We do not have any advertising in our products. Only about 30 days prior to expiration, we'll remind you that your subscription is about to expire. That however, should not be the case for you.

As NikK requested, some more information on those pop-ups would be great, so we can figure out what they are and where they come from.

As to your second question, "Security is locked" and the removal of a program: I'm sorry but I don't fully understand the problem. Could you give a bit more detail please?

If you run into an issue during installation, please see my recent post here.

I'm looking forward to hear back from you.

Best regards,
    Stephan

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info