F-Secure Health Check-incorporate into AV/IS?

Just tried the Health Check; http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/health-check

Capture.GIF

Capture 1 .GIF

Capture 2 .GIF

Capture 4 .GIF

Capture.GIF

This free tool is a easy to use alternative to Secunia; http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

Rather than a standalone buried away on the site any thoughts of incorporating this as a vulnerability scanner into the Home versions of F-Secure?

A number of other vendors now have vulnerability scanners as part of their programs; Bitdefender, BullGuard.

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Well, I've discovered a problem - FSIS is turned on, so how come it's reporting that I have no security?  I've tried turning Windows Defender on, but it just says that it's been turned off and isn't monitoring my computer.

Health.png

Action.png

• Blackcat
    Blackcat Posts: 503 Influencer

Simon, if these results are with your new computer, then the Health Check is not compatible with Win 8.1.

Further, when you install another Antivirus such as FSIS on Win 8.1, it automatically shuts off Windows Defender ; http://www.winhelp.us/configure-windows-defender-in-windows-8.html

"If a third-party anti-malware system is activated, Windows Defender will automatically turn off in favor of the third-party solution"; 

• Simon

OK, thanks Blackcat.  That puts my mind at rest, but does indicate thet the Health Checker needs updating before it's considered for inclusion within the main product - which, incodentally, is an idea I would support.

• Simon

Although, actually, it doesn't put my mind at rest - this is on my Windows 7 machine:

Health-W7.png

I think this is more of an incompatibility with the Beta product (TP99.5).  Also, Action Centre reports that the program is running, but there are no F-Secure icons showing.  I just hope that I am protected!

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

Have you noticed that supported browsers for IE mentions only 7-9? I would run the test myself but I don't use Java on any of my computers. It has had too many critical issues in the past, and keeps having it. Personally I can't understand why has FS chosen to use JRE(Java Runtime Environment) for this free tool. Only last month, in the latest security patch for Java there were 50 security vulnerabilities related to java in browsers that were remotely exploitable without authentication, including sandboxed Java Applets and sandboxed Java Web Start applications Smiley Frustrated

Why does the Health-Check need to be in Java, isn't a standard windows version like the Online-Scanner to be prefered over Java by a security company like FS?

I like Apple's initiative in OS X to block old versions of java web plug-ins, and their best practice suggestion to only enable it when you need it.

Blackcat, great idea BTW to include it in Home versions! A post in Idea Exchange perhaps, depending on answers here from FS.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info