Heavy on system when scanning

Hi,

I have windows with 8 Go RAM

When scanning, my system lags, memory and processor are too charged.

Are you sensible to this problem?

Do you search a solution to avoid system surcharge?

bob

Best Answer

• VilleVille Posts: 494 F-Secure Employee
    Accepted Answer

Manual or scheduled scan uses all CPU it can get to finish as fast as possible. Normally you would only do one manual scan after installation and that's it. Real-time protection takes care that the system stays clean and it is much lighter on the resources. Personally, I have not run manual scan for years.

Also CPUs are designed to handle 100% load without problems. If you're experiencing overheating, then there is something wrong with your hardware (heat sink / fans).

Comments

• SimonSimon Posts: 2,609 Superuser

Yes, on my Windows XP machine, when performing a scan on C drive, Fssm32.exe was at 99%, and deeply impacted on system performance.  I have also found this on previous versions of F-Secure.  It will be disappointing if this issue is still evident.

• SimonSimon Posts: 2,609 Superuser
    I had a response to this via the Beta team, and it seems this is by design, to make the scanning process faster.

I'm not sure what effect it has on a computer's CPU, though. Not that I'm a hardware expert in any way, but I have always thought that a CPU can heat up when pushed, and running it at 99% for any length of time doesn't seem like a good idea to me, particularly when a full computer scan may take several hours to complete.
  • bobbysbobbys Posts: 9

Hi,

Overheating? So far, My processor's fan is so big to avoid overheating...

I like to do a complete scan every week.

Thank you for your response.

Have a nice day !

bob

This discussion has been closed.