how to stop program from updating during working hours??

The constant updating is slowing my computer down. I would like to schedule updates for after work hours. How do I do this?

Answers

  • Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 4,100 Superuser

    Hello,

    It is likely, then, possible to talk simply about arbitrarily defined time hours (since what exactly constitutes "working hours" or "work hours")?

    how to stop program from updating during working hours??

    …

    The constant updating is slowing my computer down. I would like to schedule updates for after work hours. How do I do this?

    First of all, could you provide a bit more information about your set-up:

    • on which platform? Windows, macOS? Something else?
    • which F-Secure solution is being used?
    • what are the device's specific characteristics (say, for instance, limited or huge RAM, a slow or fast CPU, or an HDD/SSD)?
    • what is "constant updating" (with Windows-based F-Secure TOTAL: auto-checks for updates occur approximately every three hours, but this does not mean that the update or download process itself places a heavy load on the system every time. And it can be 'roughly' three checking updates events per nine hours)?
    • is there any specific description for "slowing computer down" (duration, impact or so; how it felt or visible)?

    I do not think there is currently an intended way to pause or schedule updates, the daily ones; and some larger ones as upgrade can be deferred by using a VPN.

    For (at least) Windows-based F-Secure TOTAL, there is a workaround with utilising Gaming mode. Official Help / Online Guide: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/total-windows/latest/en/task_80065E896F23433090E2A80004FC98C9-latest-en says:

    As soon as the product detects that you are running a game on your computer, it automatically stops all scheduled scans and suspends product and database updates. 

    well, the trick would be manually define / designate some application (or supposedly 'a tool' to use during working hours) as a game. Launching it will then trigger Game Mode (maybe OR mostly with the means of 'full-screen' - I am not sure).

    steps to do so: What to do if the gaming mode does not start with my game?

    I've never tried this scenario - so - it is just a speculation, but per description.. it is a possibility.

    // also, since your topic is under F-Secure Free Online Tools community board. Is it related to one of them?

    // if your concern is about any other 'program' from any other company - you can try to specify it. maybe some Community users do able to suggest something as well.

    Thanks!