Password Manager browser extension UX/UI

Chipson
Chipson Posts: 11 Explorer

I am using the Password Manager for a few years and there are a few things I would suggest to be improved/added - minor in terms of technical development, but major in terms of experience, which may be considered in future upgrades:

• Larger or automatically resizable popup containing the stored credentials on a website. The current popup only shows 2 credentials and its title row actually takes the space for at least one more. There are many websites (or software instances, such as hosting control panels) where the customer can store multiple credentials and scrolling to find one among 10 in such a small are is not very nice.
  • The ability to type and search among the stored credentials in the popup. This one will improve the experience even if the first one above remains as it is now.
  • The position of the icon/button which when clicked opens the popup with credentials. In various occasions this button appears on top of everything even if DOM objects are actually hiding/covering the form where the credentials would be added. It doesn't make much sense to see a button if you don't need it (you don't see the form anymore).
    • As an addition to the above, the button sometimes appears on top of something designed to appear there (at the right side of the input field) and having a different functionality. I know this one is tricky, because there is not a "perfect place" to put this button, but there are good practices and examples for sure.
  • And something I personally find strange - if I have credentials stored in the Vault, but the URL is HTTP, not HTTPS (the website doesn't have SSL certificate installed), the Password Manager doesn't recognize it and doesn't show the icon/button for any credentials. I didn't find a description of this, it looks like it was intended to work only for secured websites, but is this really true, or it is a bug?

I hope this would be helpful for the team.

2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,682 Superuser

Hello,

And something I personally find strange - if I have credentials stored in the Vault, but the URL is HTTP, not HTTPS (the website doesn't have SSL certificate installed), the Password Manager doesn't recognize it and doesn't show the icon/button for any credentials. I didn't find a description of this, it looks like it was intended to work only for secured websites, but is this really true, or it is a bug

Yes, this is something of a known limitation I suppose. I don't know about the specific reasons, but the format of the web address was made mandatory in this form relatively long ago.

Described in the guides and how-to articles. For example, Storing a new password in Vault | Total | Latest | F-Secure User Guides contains:

Note: The format of the web address must be https://example.com.

About the rest of your points: at first I didn't understand that you were talking about the "logo"(pop-up) directly inside username or password form. And I thought about a menu (pop-up) when clicking the extension logo on the browser panel, for example. Where such things as search already exist.

About wrong position of it and related points are quite good. And I also feel uncomfortable about these situations.