AGAIN, no Capricorn-updates for a day - now soon two days!! AND STILL NOT FIXED

MNielsen
MNielsen Posts: 77 Active Engager
edited October 16 in Device Protection

Please, fix it! Why did you change to Capricorn? Not good…

Answers

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,855 Community Manager

Hello @MNielsen

Thank you for bringing this up, and I understand your concern about the Capricorn updates.

To clarify, there have been recent updates to Capricorn. Specifically, updates were released on October 13th at 04:57 UTC and 05:32 UTC, and the most recent update was released on October 14th at 09:32 UTC.

Sometimes there might be a slight delay between when an update is published and when it reaches individual systems. This can be due to the distribution process across various servers and regions, or the timing of when your device checks for updates. However, this does not affect your protection, as our multi-layered security continues to keep you safe during these periods.

We appreciate your patience. If you haven’t received the latest update yet, it should be available soon. Please feel free to reach out if you have any other concerns.

Thank you and have a lovely day.

Firmy
    Community Manager | F-Secure Community
    🔐 Strengthening digital security through knowledge and collaboration
    🌐 Explore our User Guides | Knowledge Base for self-help resources
    💻 Empower yourself with Cybersecurity Insights and protect what matters

• MNielsen

… And updates stopped AGAIN…

• MNielsen

And yet, STILL NO UPDATES!!! Capricorn did never work when I Had Avast! Free antivirus-program - and don't work on F-Secure, either!

• Firmy

Hello @MNielsen

We understand this is importance, and we want to assure you that our team is actively investigating the issue. We'll keep you updated as soon as we have more information.

We truly appreciate your patience and understanding. If you have any further questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Have a great day ahead.

Firmy

• Firmy

Hello @MNielsen

We've resolved the issue, and you should now be receiving the updates in your app. If you don't see the updates as reflected in the database tracker, please let us know.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and the information you've provided. Thank you for being a valued member of our community. Wishing you a wonderful day.

Firmy

• MNielsen

It SEEMS to0 work - there has been several updates for now. Let's see, if I has to ask for updates again, up to next weekend……….

I'm not too optimistic…

• Firmy

Hello @MNielsen

I'm glad to hear that you're now receiving the updates. If you encounter the same issue again, please let us know—we're happy to work together on it.

Thank you for your valuable contributions. Wishing you a wonderful day.

Firmy

• MNielsen

Thanks, but keep up, pushing out Capricorn-updates, so we can feel safe. Hackers don't take holidays - perhaps, they do, but not their computers…………………

It's unsatisfactory, that it don't work for several days, when we pay for the protection, I think

As I have written before, it was the same on Avast! Free, which was the reason to take a paid antivirus program. Avast! also uses Capricorn. Or did so, when I used it. So, the problem has ALLWAYS been there, It comes as the wind is blowing, or mostly up to a weekend or after.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,675 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for the discussion.

In general, a lot could be said, but I will try to highlight only two small points. Which, in general, can slightly soften the perception of this situation (if the design is really what I imagine it to be).

• During the weekend; let's say the so-called drop in update frequency - all or a significant majority of now-known "new" or "optimized old" threats still arrive and accumulate in the F-Secure Security Cloud. So, even before they become "signatures" or "direct part of the Capricorn engine". Then, by connecting to F-Secure Security Cloud (it is auto-thing) and with a network connection, of course - your F-Secure installation has all this data during checks or file analysis. As has already been noted, despite the lack of regular updates, the system is still protected by a multi-level combine.
    • If the system does not have an active network connection, then the risk of receiving "fresh" threats is very small.

// Another point that could be mentioned is that encountering a very fresh threat "live" (a day or two "old") is quite difficult for the user. And most signature databases are still some lag anyway. At the same time, even if regular updates came without interruption and very often, then in order to protect against a very recent threat (and which cannot be caught by other layers of protection) several users would still have to encounter it, after which only it will become known. Most often, these will be some very vigilant users and will send it for analysis, suspecting something before any further harm occurs. Or if a large number of users encounter this, the “threat” will become noticeable and known very, very quickly. And accordingly, methods of healing, fixing and how to avoid will be quickly described.

Thanks!