PilotTestVirus

Klaids
Klaids Posts: 1 New Member

Hi everyone my name is Clydes and I need a PilotTestVirus hash to analyze via virustotal, hopefully the admins will pay attention to this discussion!

Comments

• JOnes
    JOnes Posts: 643 Forum Champion

In the good old days, data security programs were tested with eicar

https://www.eicar.org/

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,862 Community Manager

Hello @Klaids

Thank you for your post.

You can download the test file from this link: https://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/eicar.shtml

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need any further assistance. We’re here to help.

Wishing you a great day ahead.

Firmy
    Community Manager | F-Secure Community
    🔐 Strengthening digital security through knowledge and collaboration
    🌐 Explore our User Guides | Knowledge Base for self-help resources
    💻 Empower yourself with Cybersecurity Insights and protect what matters

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,682 Superuser

Hello,

Hi everyone my name is Clydes and I need a PilotTestVirus hash to analyze via virustotal, hopefully the admins will pay attention to this discussion!

Did you mean this one for Symbian OS?

Description: www.f-secure.com/v-descs/sympilot.shtml

If so, then based on the description, this is a fairly ordinary program (without any destructive functions and without the possibility of spreading). So, it will not be much different from any program for Symbian OS with similar functionality: clears the screen and displays some text.

This is probably of some historical interest and importance. And there may also be some additional subtleties, but again, based on the description, this could be relatively "known" locally. So you can ask around among your circle of friends who are cybersecurity or old-fashioned mobile systems security enthusiasts. Maybe you can find people who can talk about this instance with something more than just the hash of the executable file.

Also, if you try to see how many security programs will detect it now, it’s also not entirely indicative. Some may not pay attention to "irrelevant" threats, while others do not show all the possibilities on Virustotal.

Then, perhaps being a registered user of Virustotal, you can use some advanced search capabilities. Accordingly, try to search for something using keywords like: pilottestvirus; symbian; symbos. Or whatever information is available about this threat, like: file-size, creation date, used text in output,

Even without an account on Virustotal, you can search for keywords like 'symbian' or 'symbos' and find some hashes about other types of malware or potential malware for Symbian OS (thanks to comments / sidenotes placed by other virustotal users about a particular threat).

Thanks and sorry if your concern was about something else.