BandiView and F-Secure Total

haave
haave Posts: 1 New Member

The image viewer called Bandiview has this feature where it scans the images in the folder for stable diffusion tags. I'm getting some kind of incompatibility with this and F-Secure Total. When I open a folder with lots of tagged images, Bandiview starts reading image info, but where it should finish in under a second, it instead is slow and can take like half a minute or more.

In task manager I see that WithSecure plugin hosting service is transferring a large amount of data through my drive. After messing with it for a while I found that it's not scheduled or an update or anything, it's actually following Bandiview's tag scanning around but reading the images less efficiently than it is. I can start and stop WithSecure plugin hosting service's huge disk usage by starting and canceling "reading image information" in the folder.

I suspect that some automated feature in F-Secure Total is causing the stalling I am seeing with Bandiview's "reading image information" feature.

I tried disabling the different features, and so far only adding the folder with the images to the "do not virus scan" bypass list worked (it ran in well under half a second, probably more like 100ms). If I disable F-Secure, Windows Antimalware Service Executable chases it around instead giving a similar result as F-Secure, using more cpu but moving less data, stalling it for a while either way.

So in those terms, for now I get the best result from running F-Secure and adding the folder to the bypass list. Would this be something that can be remedied or will I just have to keep a carefully managed "do not scan" folder for images?

Accepted Answer

Answer ✓

Without knowing the details, here's some speculation by me. I suspect Bandiview is opening the images with write access, which causes the scanner (WithSecure service) to carefully follow what it's doing to ensure it's not ransomware encrypting the images. Excluding the folder, like you did, seems like the best thing to do to avoid this problem.

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products