new device

Suuske
Suuske Posts: 10 Explorer

Dear helper,

I bought a new laptop and an IT person switched the F-Secure Total subscription from the old to the new one. Every time I log in to F-Secure I receive the message below in my mailbox. It must be Windows 11, which I am struggling with since two days, but apparently I cannot adjust it anywhere myself. I can't answer that it wasn't me who logged in, because it was me. Can that be adjusted, or is it of no importance?

Kind regards,

Suus Kuppens

Accepted Answer

• CarolinaC
    CarolinaC Posts: 131 Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello @Suuske ,

Yes, you will continue to receive an email notification every time you log in from a device, even if you've been using it for over a week. This is a security measure to keep you informed about any actions made on your account and to ensure that your account remains secure.

Best regards.

Answers

• Suuske

The message that should stand below is:

We noticed a login from a new device

Hello Suus

We have detected a login on your F-Secure account and wish to verify this was you.

Device: Windows 10 Firefox 128

F-Secure is installed and working, so why is my device not recognized? And where does F-Secure get that 'Windows 10'?

• CarolinaC
    CarolinaC Posts: 131 Moderator

Hello @Suuske ,

Thank you for contacting us on the F-Secure Community Portal.

If I understand correctly, you have noticed that the login information you receive via email indicates Windows 10 instead of Windows 11.

This is expected behavior in Windows 11. The operating system is designed to be detected as Windows 10 because both Windows 10 and Windows 11 share the same Kernel version, which is NT 10.0. This design choice is intentional and is done to maintain application compatibility across different versions of Windows. Many applications rely on the Kernel version to function correctly, and by keeping it consistent, Microsoft ensures a smoother experience for users and developers.

Therefore, even though your device is running Windows 11, the system will report it as Windows 10 in various scenarios, including the login information you receive via email. If the login time matches your activity, there is no cause for concern regarding the mismatch in the operating system name.

If you have any further questions or require additional assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out. We are here to help.

Best regards.

• Suuske

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

And now for the rest of my days, every time I log in, will I get the message that I logged in with a new device, even though I've been using it for over a week?

Best regards,

Suuske

• Suuske

Thank you. Now I don't have to worry about that anymore.

• Suuske

Thank you. Now I don't have to worry about that anymore.