F-Secure VPN will not connect, iOS 17.5, F Secure app v23.0.301700

Options
ksksks
ksksks Posts: 4 New Member

Hello - longtime Freedome user, per direction I have uninstalled Freedome on my iphone (15 pro) and have installed the new F Secure app. My subscription shows as valid until September 2024, which is correct.

The VPN does not connect. I was having connection issues with iOS 17.4 however they seemed intermittent. When it was briefly working it would show that it was not connecting because the wifi network was shown as trusted on the connection screen, although the network has never been marked as such and did not show as trusted in the second screen - on that second screen I tried marking it as trusted then removing that designation, to no effect.

The past 5-6 days, the VPN will not connect. I get the moving circle that says "connecting VPN" and next to "Privacy VPN" it shows "connecting" however if I leave it alone it will not change status even if left for hours.

I have tried repeatedly the following steps and in various combinations:
try four different VPN locations (US East, West, Northwest, Southeast), uninstall VPN profile, uninstall app, reinstall app, allow VPN profile permissions

I have also tried reinstalling the Freedome app which did not work.

I am unable to generate a log file as this new app does not have the options show in the knowledge base (those are shown for the Freedome app)

I am very frustrated, for 8-10 years Freedome simply worked. The last perhaps 6-8 months I needed to restart my device multiple time a day and I could live with that, unhappily, but now that it simply does not I am not sure what to do.

I am grateful for any help anyone can provide, or any suggestions.

Accepted Answer

• PawełP
    PawełP Posts: 255 Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @ksksks

Thank you very much for your post and description of the problem.
    First of all, we would very much appreciate it if you update iOS on your device to the latest version released by Apple (17.5.1).
    Then reboot your iPhone and see if the problem continues.
    If so, make a change to the VPN settings (IKEv1 or IKEv2).
    If necessary, reinstall the application.
    Please observe if the probem occurs when connecting to different WiFi networks.
    Is it impossible to connect to the VPN when the device is not connected to WiFi, but only uses the Internet in a cellular network?
    If these steps do not help then we will need diagnostic data from your device to see why it is not connecting to the VPN.
    Let us know what the situation looks like.

Best regards

Pawel

Making every digital moment secure, for everyone

Answers

• ksksks
    ksksks Posts: 4 New Member
    Options

Hello @PawelP,

Thank you, please see my further comments in CAPS below, I apologize for the shouting but wanted to be clear:

First of all, we would very much appreciate it if you update iOS on your device to the latest version released by Apple (17.5.1).
    Then reboot your iPhone and see if the problem continues. DONE, THE PROBLEM CONTINUES
    If so, make a change to the VPN settings (IKEv1 or IKEv2). DONE, I OMITTED FROM MY INITIAL REPORT THAT I HAD TRIED THIS SWITCH SEVERAL TIMES - I DID TRY IT AGAIN AFTER UPDATING TO 17.5.1 AND THEN AGAIN AFTER REINSTALLING THE APPLICATION
    If necessary, reinstall the application. DONE
    Please observe if the probem occurs when connecting to different WiFi networks. PRIOR TO TODAY I HAD THE SAME ISSUE ON TWO DIFFERENT WIFI NETWORKS AS WELL AS CELLULAR ONLY (WIFI TURNED OFF IN SETTINGS) - AT PRESENT I ONLY HAVE ONE WIFI NETWORK AVAILABLE, HOWEVER THE ISSUE REMAINS PRESENT ON WIFI OR CELLULAR SO IT DOES NOT SEEM SPECIFIC TO A WIFI NETWORK
    Is it impossible to connect to the VPN when the device is not connected to WiFi, but only uses the Internet in a cellular network? CORRECT, NO CHANGE WHETHER IT IS CELLULAR OR WIFI. I HAVE ALSO TRIED AGAIN SEVERAL DIFFERENT SERVER LOCATIONS IN BOTH SCENARIOS, CELLULAR OR WIFI, AND WITH CHANGING IKEV1 AND 2 SETTINGS

AT PRESENT THE CONNECT TO LOCAL SERVICES TOGGLE IS OFF, HOWEVER FOR TROUBLESHOOTING PURPOSES I DID TRY VARIOUS COMBINATIONS WITH IT TOGGLED ON OR OFF
    If these steps do not help then we will need diagnostic data from your device to see why it is not connecting to the VPN.
    Let us know what the situation looks like.

Product & Pricing Info