fsecure free online scanner, "pending restart request", but still same after restarts

notmikko
notmikko Posts: 10 Explorer

cannot start scan.. tried restart or run as admin.

Tagged:

Accepted Answer

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,671 Superuser
    Answer ✓

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in my response

Just as a sidenote: I am also just an F-Secure user. So, I can only try to suggest something based on the logs.

Firstly, looking at "Exiting with code: 26" - UI, at least, correctly reports that a pending restart has been detected. Not just a generic wording based on some other reasons. However, I am not sure whether this conclusion is correct or not.

Because I think it is based on "I: AdminHelper::HandleScanExit: Got return code: 2 || I: RemovalTool::HandleExitCode: ExitCode: 2" lines, but I am not sure what they means. Was it really due to some pending restart or did something else happen (let’s say the scan didn’t start at all by some failure), but it was just interpreted in this way.

Perhaps there can be a loop like: one day a certain threat was detected that required a reboot (and subsequent cleaning). But at the moment (or rather after) the reboot, this threat was no longer in the system and thus the cleaning could not take place. Let's say then Online Scanner gets stuck at this step of trying to clear something from the past. Or maybe (as you said: previously all was fine) some trouble with different versions / builds of Online Scanner.

Since the most popular and potential situations were probably taken into account by the developers, there was probably a somewhat unusual case or sequence of events.

Probably I will suggest to try cleaning up a bit (as with my previous reply). By using, for example, F-Secure Uninstallation Tool with options like clean up Quarantine, Logs, maybe remains of a solution if found any (with the exception of Freedome/VPN).

Because I do not know which registry entry may be related. But you can try to look at some of them; quite likely there can be something 'obvious' with titles like pending restart and so on.

Also, I was a little puzzled by the first part of the logs, where it says “Cleanup aborted.” Are these different logs or was it just one? Does it run every time with this routine (and binary version update)?

thanks!

Answers

• Ukko

Hello,

Could you check if this discussion contains anything useful:

if not: can you provide a bit more information about your system and set-up.

For example, which Windows version; is it possible that another AV or security solution may break Online Scanner launch.

… run as admin.

Did you try to launch Online Scanner when logged in user profile (system account) with Administration rights (Administrator type of account)?

Thanks!

• notmikko

no other av solutions, win10 pro, used in admin type account..
    old freedome and the new slow f secure vpn are installed (both not enabled),
    but at least freedome didn't cause issues before.

scanner used to work normally before, but recently (maybe within this spring?) it has stopped working..

is there some registry value that could be cleared..?

• JOnes
    JOnes Posts: 635 Forum Champion
    edited May 7

Here (also) the problem is that the user does not receive any notification as to why the scan was interrupted or not started at all, the application should have a "debug mode" so e.g. error messages would become visible(logged heavily)in problems.

• Ukko

Hello,

Thanks for your response.

scanner used to work normally before, but recently (maybe within this spring?) it has stopped working..

is there some registry value that could be cleared..?

may be, however, since I did not manage to reproduce this trouble with my device - I cannot suggest any idea about. I tried to run both beta and stable Online Scanners. To check some set-ups and so things. I did not try to provoke Scanner to detect / remove something (which probably is crucial).

I can to suggest to look at Logs (for example, C:\ProgramData\F-Secure\Log\DART or C:\Users\__YourUserProfileName__\AppData\Local\F-Secure\Log\DART). To check if any error recorded at launch.

If nothing. Then if this were my device, I would try to uninstall Freedome (or F-Secure Total app, if is installed instead) in the normal way. Then I would use the F-Secure Uninstallation Tool, select all available items (in the checkboxes) and then try (after rebooting the system) to launch Online Scanner.

https://www.f-secure.com/en/support

At least, if failed again - then it is clear that something either incompatible with system (not enough something in configuration) or registry-based trouble.

Thanks!

• notmikko

from log,

I: *** LOGGING STARTED *** (UTC+3:00, session: 0xc)
    I: Binary version: 8, compilation time: Apr 17 2024 09:52:07
    *E: wmain: Process id parsing failed. Cleanup aborted.
    I: *** LOG AUTO-CLOSED ***

I: *** LOGGING STARTED *** (UTC+3:00, session: 0xc)
    I: Binary version: 8.11.13, compilation time: Apr 17 2024 09:52:41
    I: FsSosExt::ParseCommandLine: Command-line: "C:\Users*\AppData\Local\FSDART*\fssos.exe"
    I: AdminHelper::RunIPCServer: IPC message pump running
    I: DART::SelectLanguage: Using language: en
    I: Metrics::InitializeDisPoint: DIS2: https://api.prd.glb.disobus.f-sos.net/dis/v1
    I: DisSubmitter::Submit: analytics (734 bytes), X-Transaction: 0000-*******
    I: DisSubmitter::Submit: analytics (1039 bytes), X-Transaction: 0000-
    I: DisSubmitter::Submit: analytics (1016 bytes), X-Transaction: 0000-*****
    I: AdminHelper::SetHosterReady: Hoster is ready for messages
    I: AdminHelper::WaitForHosterStartup: Admin helper ready
    I: AdminHelper::LaunchHoster: Launched hoster: "C:\Users*\AppData\Local\FSDART*
    **\fssos_admin_helper.exe"
    I: ProcessHelper::Launch: msg = '{"cmdline":"--dart --doorman-url=https://api.prd.glb.doorman.fsapi.com/doorman/v1/tokens --doorman-id=ultralight_windows_dart_prod_20180903 --doorman-hash=8cab2b8f636b4039b40e16a50f994e00d8910d96"}', ret = 1
    I: AdminHelper::HandleULSDKInstallerExitCode: Got return code: 101
    I: RemovalTool::StartRemoval: Starting Removal
    I: AdminHelper::StartScan: Launching scan with msg: '{"cmdline":""}'
    I: ProcessHelper::Launch: msg = '{"cmdline":""}', ret = 1
    I: DisSubmitter::Submit: analytics (1025 bytes), X-Transaction: 0000--
    I: AdminHelper::HandleScanExit: Got return code: 2
    I: RemovalTool::HandleExitCode: ExitCode: 2
    I: DisSubmitter::Submit: analytics (1013 bytes), X-Transaction: 0000--*************
    I: DisSubmitter::Submit: analytics (1082 bytes), X-Transaction: 0000--*************
    I: DisSubmitter::Submit: analytics (1007 bytes), X-Transaction: 0000--*************
    I: AdminHelper::StartCleanup: Launching cleanup with msg: '{"cmdline":" /pid=26716 /folder="""}'
    I: ProcessHelper::Launch: msg = '{"cmdline":" /pid=26716 /folder="""}', ret = 1
    I: DisSubmitter::Submit: analytics (1036 bytes), X-Transaction: 0000-96fda00bea650866
    I: AdminHelper::ShutdownHoster: Sending shut down message
    I: DisSubmitter::Submit: analytics (1015 bytes), X-Transaction: 0000-
    I: DisSubmitter::Submit: analytics (1114 bytes), X-Transaction: 0000--
    I: wWinMain: Exiting with code: 26 (Tool noticed a pending reboot)
    I: *** LOGGING ENDED ***

• JOnes
    JOnes Posts: 635 Forum Champion

In my opinion, the consumer customer does not belong and does not need to interpret the error codes of information of security products, that is clearly the task of the software supplier.@Ukko certainly deserves a special mention for giving a try….

• notmikko

nice, the "F-Secure Uninstallation Tool" did help!

uninstalled all products listed on it, didn't have to restart, now online scanner works.

thanks!

• notmikko

Oh, now that i installed new VPN again,
    getting same error in scanner "pending restart"..
    so should be easy for support to track it down.

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,852 Community Manager

Hello @notmikko

Thank your post and comments.

Could you please reproduce the issue and generate the FSDIAG for us to investigate? Please do not share the FSDIAG here. I have sent you a private message; kindly share it with me there.

Additionally, we would like to confirm if the issue only occurs when you turn on the VPN. In your previous comment, you mentioned that you have the new F-Secure app, but it is not enabled. Could you uninstall it and check the Online Scanner again?

Thank you, and have a good day.

Firmy
    Community Manager | F-Secure Community
    🔐 Strengthening digital security through knowledge and collaboration
    🌐 Explore our User Guides | Knowledge Base for self-help resources
    💻 Empower yourself with Cybersecurity Insights and protect what matters