F-Secure Total not available for Galaxy S8

Options
Moondancer
Moondancer Posts: 10 Enthusiast

My Freedome app keeps telling me to switch to F-Secure Total but how can I, as the app isn't available for my Samsung Galaxy S8 (Android v. 9) in the Play store? Says it's not compatible with my unit 😐

So what am I supposed to do? One of the reasons I've chosen F-Secure - and have paid for it - is the possibility to have VPN on my Android, too. Also, there's still plenty of time left on my subscription, during which I'll obviously not be getting what I've paid for 😕

Answers

• JOnes
    JOnes Posts: 479 Rock Star
    Options
  • Moondancer
    Options

Thank you, but that link doesn’t offer any help.

The problem is that, according to Google Play, F-Secure Total isn’t compatible with my phone (Android v. 9). This means that I cannot download the app to replace F-Secure Freedome on my phone, which consequently means that the phone will lack both VPN and internet security soon.

• JOnes
    edited April 27
    Options

https://community.f-secure.com/vpn-en/kb/articles/29668

According instructions you are NOT moving to use F-Secure Total

Any further help needed,contact customer support

https://www.f-secure.com/en/support/contact

"If a general competition were held to name information security products, F-Secure would probably not rank high"😀

• Moondancer
    Options

Ok. Just for the sake of clarification, the only F-Secure products available in the Play store for my Android phone are:

Not much to do about it then I guess. Thanks for trying to help out!

• JOnes
    Options

Sorry for that,better contact support,those instructions are not so clear overall

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,710 Community Manager
    Options

Hello @Moondancer

Thank you for your post.

Regrettably, the new F-Secure app is incompatible with Android version 9.0 as we strive to enhance user protection. For more details, please visit this link.

We recommend updating your Android OS to the latest version to benefit from improved security features and functionality on your device. Our decision not to support older Android OS versions like Android 9 is driven by technical limitations and security considerations, ensuring better performance and development efficiency on newer OS versions.

Please note that as of the end of 2023, older OS versions are no longer supported by F-Secure. While you may continue using the app, optimal performance cannot be guaranteed.

If you require assistance for a smoother transition, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're here to help.

Thank you for your understanding, and we wish you a pleasant day ahead.

• JOnes
    Options

@Firmy,From your instructions, you get the impression that Freedome VPN (android) can be updated from the software libraries (iOS, Android) so that the unused licensetime can be used up, also on older Android, which on the mobile device in question (Samsung Galaxy S8) is 9.0, which is the last supported version

• Moondancer
    Options

Yes, exactly as @JOnes says! But from your reply here I gather I have to trash my fully functional Galaxy S8 if I want to stick to F-Secure’s services. I gather it’s the same when it comes to my laptop, which for reasons that are of no interest to others needs to stay on the Win 7 Pro OS?

• Firmy
    Options

Hello @JOnes

Thank you for your comment.

We apologize for any confusion caused. To clarify, Android version 9.0 is not compatible with the new F-Secure app. Therefore, if you are using Android version 9.0, you will not be able to upgrade to the new app. We strongly recommend our users update their operating system to the latest version available to ensure that security features and functionality are optimized before upgrading to the latest F-Secure app.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're here to assist you.

Thank you for your understanding, and we wish you a pleasant day ahead.

• Moondancer
    Options

But @Firmy, when there is no OS upgrade above 9.0 available you’ll be forced to discard a perfectly functional phone! Not very environmentally friendly of a Finnish company, if you ask me 😬

• Firmy
    Options

Hello @Moondancer

We understand your concerns, and we'd like to explain why we strongly recommend upgrading to the latest Android version. Google has ended support for Android version 9.0, meaning you won't receive any further updates or security patches from Google. Even with the F-Secure app installed, we can't guarantee the safety of your mobile device without ongoing support from Google.

For more details on this matter, you can refer to this link for a discussion with Google.

Regarding your subscription, we see that you've subscribed to F-Secure Total for 3 devices. You've installed F-Secure Total on your Windows PC and your iOS device, but on your Android device, you only have F-Secure Freedome VPN installed. Unfortunately, due to the incompatibility of your Android OS version with the new app, you won't be able to upgrade to the new app, and we regret any inconvenience this may cause.

As a precaution, we recommend refraining from using your Android phone for banking or browsing activities, as it may pose security risks. Instead, you can use your Windows computer or iOS device for these activities, where you have our full protection.

If you need further assistance or have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're here to help.

Thank you for your understanding, and we wish you a safe and pleasant day ahead.

• JOnes
    Options

would you mind to put back my last comment in this thread,it was not so bad at all i guess..thx..

• Moondancer
    Options

@Firmy, I suggest you do what @JOnes suggested in the comment that was erased: clarify the information that is handed out, so that your customers aren’t led to believe there is an upgrade available when there in fact isn’t one.

Also, you didn’t answer my question in a previous comment regarding the security on my Win 7 Pro laptop. However, based on what you say about Google and the Android phone, I take it the laptop won’t be safe to use either.

• Firmy
    Options

Hello @Moondancer

I appreciate your inquiry about the Android version. It's worth noting that keeping your Android version up-to-date is essential for security and performance. However, it's important to clarify that we're unable to check or update your Android version on your behalf, as this falls outside our area of control.

Regarding your query about Windows 7, it's important to note that Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020. Additionally, F-Secure stop supporting the Windows 7 operating system on August 14, 2023. Consequently, we can no longer guarantee the safety of your computer, even with our security product installed. You can find more detailed information on this matter at this link.

If you need further assistance or have any other questions, please feel free to reach out. We're here to help in any way we can.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

• JOnes
    edited April 27
    Options

According to F-Secure's CEO, a new corporate culture is being implemented in the listed company, and there are undoubtedly challenges.I don't think arrogance towards customers or investors should be part of any company's culture

• Moondancer
    Options

@Firmy:

It isn’t a question about F-Secure having to keep tabs on each and every customer’s OS, it’s about the lack of information. Nowhere is there any warning about possible problems due to an OS being too old. This here is the information you get, therefore you’re led to believe it’s fine to upgrade all your licenses:

• JOnes
    Options

@Firmy. Would you mind to correcting the above instruction so that there is actually no possibility to utilize the rest of the licencetime by updating the Freedone VPN without updating the android at least up to 10.0 at the same time,or am i missing something essential ?

• siramic
    siramic Posts: 112 Adventurer
    edited April 27
    Options

Yep, a little better clarification may help with some of the confusion, right up front, like it's shown on the webstore…all the way at the bottom of the page ;) :) It would be nice to maybe at least affirm it in the Forum announcement, or as Moondancer showed in post #10? There was another member where there was some confusion about the supported Mac version as well?

Product & Pricing Info