Is it just me or is the VPN insanely slow ?

Options
Youkai
Youkai Posts: 4 Observer

I am trying to watch crunchyroll from Japan trough a VPN in Europe but no matter which Server I try I only get about 1mbit at best when doing a speed test while being connected to any of the European servers ....

The Asian ones are like 20mbit which would be sufficient but don't work with crunchyroll.

its the only thing I need the VPN for but like this I can not even watch 360p -.-V

Also doesn't matter if I use the freedom vpn or the total security and vpn :/

Answers

• Youkai
    Options

Just tried is using Turbo VPN (free) and got 20mbit ....

I'd assume that a paid service would get me at least the same results if not even better :/

• marmab
    marmab Posts: 35 Moderator
    Options

Hello @Youkai

Welcome to the F-Secure Community. We thank you for your post. We are currently working on fixing this issue. Regardless of the subscription being free or paid the connection speeds should be as you are currently experiencing.

When attempting to browse the internet, please could you try using the Firefox browser and let us know if there is any eleviation of the current issue.

Please bear with us as we are currently working on a fix for this issue.

• Cotr
    Cotr Posts: 1 Observer
    Options

First day with the new app. Painfully slow at least here in Finland. Furthermore I had to uninstall the old freedome manually or else neither of them worked.

• Youkai
    Options

I use Chrome and Firefox on my laptop and chrome on my phone but its all the same ...

If there is an issue on your side it wouldn't make sense it it was only with a specific browser oO

The VPN tunnel just seems super slow, guess either your servers have some trouble or your ISP doesn't give you enough upload speed for all your users...

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,703 Community Manager
    edited April 25
    Options

Hello @Youkai @Cotr

As mentioned by @marmab earlier, our team is actively investigating the issue. In the meantime, we recommend using Firefox as an alternative browser.

To assist us further in diagnosing the issue, we kindly ask you to run some diagnostic commands while the VPN is connected and the issue is ongoing. Here are the commands to run:

curl -v -6 https://www.f-secure.com/fi -o NUL

curl -v -4 https://www.f-secure.com/fi -o NUL

nslookup yle.fi 2001:4860:4860::8888

nslookup google.se 8.8.8.8

tracert -4 google.com

tracert -6 google.com

And report what those commands print.

Additionally, you can try disabling IPv6 temporarily to gather more information. Here's how to do it:

1. Open the admin command prompt and enter:
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters" /v DisabledComponents /t reg_dword /d 255 /f

2. Reboot your computer.

3. Check if the browsing issue persists on Chrome or Edge. Please note that this may slow down OpenVPN connection establishment, but it should not affect IKEv2 connections. We'd appreciate your feedback on whether this helps resolve the issue or not.

If you need to re-enable IPv6, use the following command and reboot your computer:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters" /v DisabledComponents /t reg_dword /d 0 /f

Thank you for your cooperation and patience as we work to resolve this issue. We look forward to receiving your feedback. Have a great day.

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,703 Community Manager
    Options

Hello,

We have successfully identified the root cause of the issue. It appears that the recent updates to all Chromium-based browsers, including Edge, Chrome, and Brave, to version 124, have introduced a new feature called "TLS 1.3 hybridized Kyber support." This feature seems to be causing difficulties with our VPN service. We are currently conducting further investigation into this matter.

In the interim, as a workaround, we recommend disabling this feature in your browser settings. You can do this by accessing chrome://flags or edge://flags. We appreciate your understanding and patience as we work to resolve this issue.

• JOnes
    JOnes Posts: 474 Rock Star
    Options

In situations like this, it would be nice if the investigation and its status could be monitored and checked
    a) following the entire announcement queue (new option in
    community)
    b) https://status.f-secure.com/ by following the status window

• Youkai
    Options

No idea what you did ... for a second I was worried that I am an idiot user talking crap BUT actually on my Laptop there is only Firefox installed and no chrome at all, on the phone I used chrome yes.

But before on m laptop even using firefox the speed was ridiculous now I get 45mbit down and 15mbit up which is more then enough to watch my series.

Kinda doubt that it had anything to do with chrome as it was definitely 100% the same in Firefox before.

Anyways it seems to work well again so whatever :/

• siramic
    siramic Posts: 109 Adventurer
    Options

@Firmy

Done, disabled the Kyber support flags option in Chrome and will give it a go over the weekend.

• Sim0n
    Sim0n Posts: 4 Explorer
    Options

Done and happy to report the vpn is now working as expected for now.

• JOnes
    JOnes Posts: 474 Rock Star
    Options

Still waiting for the stable version(without any browser setting changes) for F-Secure Total &Vpn

• Windows 11, Windows 10 version 21H2 or later, Windows 8.1
    • macOS 12 (Monterey) or later
    • iOS 16 or later
    • Android 10 or later

• Mike-North
    Mike-North Posts: 11 Enthusiast
    edited May 6
    Options

This fixed my connection problems on win10 + brave and chrome.

EDIT: What is funny is that the VPN has been slow and dropping off for quite some time now. But this chromium feature was rolled out on 16th of April -24. ???

• Sim0n
    Sim0n Posts: 4 Explorer
    Options

So any news on the fix and not the workaround?

Product & Pricing Info