Scan Modus

Options
Hulot
Hulot Posts: 13 Explorer

My scan modus should be scanning every four weeks (so it is set by myself), but nevertheless it scans every seven days. What to do…?

Answers

• PawełP
    PawełP Posts: 201 Moderator
    Options

Hallo @Hulot

We welcome you to our forum and thank you for your post.

If the scan is occurring more often than you have scheduled, we recommend uninstalling the program using the uninstall tool and then reinstalling the program.

You can do it in the following way:

1. Download the uninstall tool from our website: Support tools | F‑Secure (f-secure.com)

2. Select Uninstallation tool for Windows and then run the tool.

3. After uninstalling the program, restart your computer and start the reinstallation according to the instructions given in this manual: Installing the product on your computer | Total | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

4. Set the manual scan in the program settings to the desired time interval.

This procedure should help. Please let us know if after reinstalling the program the scanning works according to the schedule you set.

Have a good one!
    Pawel

Making every digital moment secure, for everyone

• Hulot
    Options

thank you, I will try and give a Feedback in four weeks.

• Hulot
    Options

Didn't worked. The system tells me that he will scan in one week (I scanned as planned yesterday), although it is clear to see, that is has to in four weeks. A mystery to me.

• Hulot
    Options

Forgot: I haven't got a scan report from yesterday yet. This is also unusual and the first time.

• JOnes
    JOnes Posts: 474 Rock Star
    Options

In F-Secure Total(windows) ver 19.3 the sheduled scanning setting is somewhat special,try to set

scanning: in four weeks

running day: the current day (ie monday)

running time: the desired time (after current time)

• Hulot
    Options

This is what I did (as usual) and what was seen. In the past it was the same, but f-secure scanned nevertheless every seven days instead of four weeks like it was seen and set.

Tne irritating thing this time was, that it said "last scan 12.04.2024, next scan 19.04.2024."

4 weeks were set.

Now there is the planned (!) scan, which took place at 12.04,, completely gone (o.k.; i didn`t - as i mentioned before - received a message that the scan has ended i.e. I didn`t got a report about that. This never happened before.

Now I will wait for the next planned set at 19.04. and see what happens this time after one week….cu next time…:-))

• JOnes
    edited April 15
    Options

Have you reinstalled the product(F-Secure Total 19.3 ,win ) with uninstall tool/install requested above?And if the problem still exists you should run the support tool and send it to F-secure to be sure inspected by F-secure AI or support team there is not any "bug lying" in certain circumstances.

• Hulot
    Options

yes, I did.

Okay, i will use the support tooltool.

Thanks everybody. If there is the solution I will tell you.

• PawełP
    PawełP Posts: 201 Moderator
    Options

Hello @Hulot

In this situation we will need diagnostic data to investigate the problem.

I'll contact you in a private message on community forum.

Best regards.

Pawel

Making every digital moment secure, for everyone

• Hulot
    Options

System updated to f-secure 19.4. a few days ago.

new/old problems:

Planned scan stops around 34%; no messages about it or the result of the scan itself, just nothing.

Error message when I try to manage my PC-account or try to add another device.

• Hulot
    Options

Sorry, now it is seen ( I could swear the conditon abou this scan was gone last time I looked): planned scan is still working (now 39%)…..but is very slowly….

…very strange; all this…

• Hulot
    Options

O.k., scan works as it should. Just the slowest mode was set…needed more than 6 Hours for a full scan…now I fixed it to a faster mode.

Still the problem with the settings of devices and users. Th error seems to have something to do with the browsers, but I don't understand the circumstances/details.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,628 Superuser
    Options

Hello,

Planned scan stops around 34%; no messages about it or the result of the scan itself, just nothing.

Sorry, now it is seen ( I could swear the conditon abou this scan was gone last time I looked): planned scan is still working (now 39%)…..but is very slowly….

…very strange; all this…

O.k., scan works as it should.

Just about this point; as I was also puzzled at the time.

This most likely happens (and happened in your situation) - when the scheduled scan process figuratively got stuck at a certain percentage (without changes), scanning some large file location. By "got stuck" - I mean that the scanning continued and let's say a lot of files were scanned, but the progress itself at this stage remained the same "percentage" (let's say, 34% in yours). If this happens for more than an hour (for example), then the UI and the application will stop showing information about the current scan (although the scanning itself and this progress are still taken into account in the background). Let's say this is convenient if the scheduled scanning was interrupted by a power outage or something else, and then there will be no “phantom event" entry with incomplete scanning (at a certain percentage) in the Event History. Because "ongoing" event disappears from UI.

So, ongoing scan event is only shown for 1 hour and there need to be an update during that one hour to sets the expiration one hour further.

As the percentage of the scheduled scan is updated (moved) - then it is visible again and in your situation it was 39% when you saw it.

needed more than 6 Hours for a full scan

For me it is a bit more hard. Because I need nearly 24hours, perhaps. So, quite puzzled at the time. I think progress is tracked by its location either (entire files number). So, if location (path) is filled-up with files.. and scanning all of them will took some hours - then it will be all this time at a certain percentage. But I am not sure about this reasoning.

So, I am not sure that 'slow' or 'fast' changes in percentage of scan process is actually about speed of scanning.

What about 'four weeks' vs 'next week' - I am not sure about current state. But at the time, I met a state when missed scan (say, missed 'each four weeks' scan) is auto-rescheduled to the 'one week' further. Make it looks like "each next week' is chosen.

What I mean is - if scheduled scan is missed (system is not ON at the time of date) - then scheduled scan should run at the very closest time as possible. Usually, next system launch.

Still the problem with the settings of devices and users. Th error seems to have something to do with the browsers, but I don't understand the circumstances/details.

I think it is a debug information. My instances also about some errors. And concerned webview-feature.

However, I think it should be only visible if 'debug' mode is enabled:

Could you check it by instructions there: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/total-windows/latest/en/task_765647983FBF4CF08492A7E51AFB39F9-latest-en

that "WebView2 console debugger" is not enabled.

Thanks!

• JOnes
    Options

In the next product Total versions, it would probably be nice to add informatics for the consumer user about the progress of the scheduled scan, especially in the case of time-consuming elements (files and resources).Now it's very moderate.For a long time informatics was completely missing, we only experienced it as "hissing and heating devices😀"

• Hulot
    Options

"I think it is a debug information. My instances also about some errors. And concerned webview-feature.

However, I think it should be only visible if 'debug' mode is enabled:

Could you check it by instructions there: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/total-windows/latest/en/task_765647983FBF4CF08492A7E51AFB39F9-latest-en

that "WebView2 console debugger" is not enabled."

-Yes, this helped. Thanks a lot.

-My new setting for a faster scan helped for the planned scan (which worked, too); over in 1 and 1/2 hour.

-Now let's see if the setting of "4 weeks" is alright by the next time. I will tell everybody.

In the meantime: Thanks everybody 🙂

• Hulot
    Options

Scan was yesterday….4 weeks set….next scan in one week…what on earth…?

• JOnes
    Options

Try setting the timing to "four weeks the day to "Sonntag(current Day)" and the time later than the elapsed time and see if the next scan moves to four weeks later,special setting indeed😏

Options

I looked into this issue.

First of all, @Ukko is right about the event in event history. While scan is ongoing the event has 1h expiration and if there are no updates (update happens every 5%) then it disappears momentarily. The reason is exactly as suspected, to clean up "ghost" scans that are interrupted for some reason, for example system reboot.

The second problem was more interesting. We schedule the scan to happen every 4 weeks starting from that week. However, this scheduling happens after every reboot. So if you reboot on 2nd week, it schedules the scan to happen every 4 weeks starting from that week. In practice, if you reboot, the scan will happen always within 1 week.

I fixed the second problem by changing the text to say "Monthly" and scan now happens on first instance of the selected day in the month, regardless of when it was scheduled. Fix will be in 19.5 release.

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

• JOnes
    Options

Ok, in the 19.5 version, you could also add informatics to the event log about the progress and estimated duration of the scheduled scan,thx..

• Hulot
    Options

Thanks again. I will wait for 19.5 version, see what happens and come back again and tell about the progress.

• Hulot
    edited April 27
    Options

Meanwhile the planned 4-week-scan, which F-Secure wrongly said would happen today (see screenshot, if you want to) , didn't happened, which is in a strange way somehow right, because the last planned scan was only one week before ….

…but as you can see in the screenshot, the message is still there, although the planned starting time is two hours ago..…

I think this irritation is a characteristic of the to be fixed actual condition….so I have to be patient, I guess…😉…

• JOnes
    edited April 27
    Options

We hope that this setting will be fixed(or replanned) in the 19.5 version, now it is at least special, sometimes it can be set again to "4 weeks scanning" even though only a week has passed since the previous one by disabling and enabling the entire setting and setting it again to 4 weeks (from this weekday)