Why does F-Secure Total sometimes open?

MNielsen
MNielsen Posts: 77 Active Engager
edited August 7 in Device Protection

Without showing, what's wrong? And when looking here and there - nothing wrong to see anywhere... Everything is blue, green and peacefull....

It simply just looks like this:

Accepted Answer

Answer ✓

The user interface only opens when there is a "smart task" that requires user attention. This the the thing in the upper right corner that is bouncing up and down and either yellow or red (blue ones do not open UI).

However, sometimes the reason for the task gets resolved and the task is removed before user returns to the computer. In these cases the UI seems to have opened for no reason at all. You can see from the log what was the reason by looking at %LOCALAPPDATA%\F-Secure\Log\OneClient\UiWakeupPlugin.log.

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,682 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for the discussion.

I remember there was a bug-fix for 'sudden' UI opening (something with the line like ""Main UI pops up constantly with no apparent reason""). So, as such, it is a possible situation of some 'error' in your situation (I mean, something which should be fixed too). I would suggest creating an FSdiag file when such situation occurs (Online Guide description →: Using the support tool | Total | Latest | F-Secure User Guides). This will be useful then for investigation / looking by F-Secure teams (if you contact them privately later).

In my experience - I have sometimes seen 'random' openings too. However, I thought of it as my 'accidental' clicking around tray-logo. Simply put, I never experienced good enough evidence (for me) that it was not me who triggered Main UI somehow. But I suspected that the opening was accidental / with no reason.

In your experience - how often does this happen? Also, was this last time(?) immediately / shortly after the system started or while using the device? Could you see if any unusual updates were received during this time in F-Secure Settings? Let's say Ultralight Core or USS update? They are rare a bit and so.. may reflect something.

Thanks!

• MNielsen
    MNielsen Posts: 77 Active Engager
    edited February 25

It opened after checking for, and installing a Capricorn-update. It has never "self-opened" when updating Ultralight, and the others...

The other times, it opened on it's own, it also was after a Capricorn-update.

Remember, that it opened for long time ago, because of some problems with the browser ad on Safe Guard. But I needed to look around in the program to see where the problem was! That, could be made better! 😅

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,682 Superuser

Thanks for the response!

It opened after checking for, and installing a Capricorn-update. It has never "self-opened" when updating Ultralight, and the others... The other times, it opened on it's own, it also was after a Capricorn-update.

Well, upon receiving of the update package, some other information may be transferred. Not only the engine updates themselves (can be even just some technical information). In particular, interface localization or some tweaks, hot fixes or something. At least that's how I imagine it. Since Capricorn engine updates are one of the most common things, maybe can be utilized as a channel to provide some "update types" that force the interface to open.

Now that I’ve read that I’m not the only one (perhaps) who has encountered this... I’ll try to look at my experience the next time there’s a similar situation and try to understand whether I missed something while clicking in the tray-bar area or the window opened on its own indeed.

As such, I meant that opened F-Secure Main UI should not be always an indication of some trouble. I think that if the process is restarted or something like that, then this may be normal. On the other hand, this could be some kind of "bug" like some kind of status change to problematic for a few milliseconds. But while the interface was opening, the status was already being read correctly by F-Secure services. Nothing to inform, nothing to show.

Anyway, good if there will be some official suggestions about reasons.

This discussion has been closed.