DeepGuard, MacOS 14.2.1 and zsh

Options

Is it only me that finds it unbearable to do any meaningful work with zsh, DeepGuard and Sonoma on a M2. There are times that even changing a directory can take up to 10 to 20 seconds and for programs installed via brew (and whitelisted even) more.

I've already started looking for uninstallation options.

Accepted Answer

• ArthurVal
    ArthurVal Posts: 236 F-Secure Employee
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi, @adamo!

Thanks for the report. We have recently published a hotfix that should improve performance. There were several reports of degradations related to the recent product update.

The hotfix is published for F-Secure TOTAL Mac product. The products check for applicable hotfixes once per day. it will be installed automatically within one day.

You can also manually force the installation immediately by running the command below in the Terminal app.

notifyutil -p com.f-secure.check-for-hotfixes

In order to verify that the hotfix is installed, you can run this command

sudo cat /Library/F-Secure/hotfix-store/installed-hotfixes.json | json_pp

followed by admin password. It should print out that hotfix with ID 13 and name "ScannerManagerPerformanceHotfix" is installed on the system.

if the command above generates an error saying "No such file or directory", it means that the hotfix has not been installed yet.

There is a chance it might positively affect the issue that you are observing on your machine.

I would still like to inspect this issue in a bit more detail if keep happening after the performance adjustment hotfix is installed.

Let's check if there is any improvement once the hotfix is installed for you and proceed with the investigation if it does not help.

Best regards, Arthur

Mac R&D Team

Answers

• adamo
    adamo Posts: 7 Explorer
    Options

Thank you very much @ArthurVal

• adamo
    Options

Can we reopen / refocus on this sometime please? Anything I try to do from iTerm2 with zsh feels like a 9600bps modem from 1990. vi, less, terraform, direnv, all take seconds to either start or finish, even with specific rules on DeepGuard.

I kind of wonder how your own developers can actually work with the command line with this kind of performance?

In 10+ years of being a user this is the first time I am facing such issues and gripe to the point of not wanting to renew and immediately uninstall just to be able to work.

• ArthurVal
    ArthurVal Posts: 236 F-Secure Employee
    Options

Sure. We'll most likely need to collect product diagnostics to isolate the issue.

It's better to share those in private. I'll send a private message briefly.

Best regards, Arthur

Mac R&D Team

• adamo
    Options

The situation seems to have improved. Thanks

Pricing & Product Info