unable to use various yle areena services abroad despite using Espoo (FIN) as location

Options
Jukka41
Jukka41 Posts: 4 Observer

I have tried to use various services of yle areena while abroad (yle areena - Search (bing.com)). Most of the items result in "oops! something went wrong " and not allowing me to use those services - this was less of a problem earlier - any suggestions ?

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,702 Community Manager
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Jukka41

Thank you for your post.

Streaming services may prevent access to F-Secure VPN and other VPN services to enforce their content distribution rights and copyright agreements with content owners. F-Secure VPN works by redirecting your internet traffic through its servers and disguising your IP address to appear as though you are browsing the internet from a different location.

When someone uses F-Secure VPN to access a streaming service, they can bypass the geographic restrictions and appear to be accessing the service from a different location. However, this can violate the content distribution rights and copyright agreements of the streaming service and its content owners.

To enforce their agreements, streaming services use various measures to detect and block VPN traffic, including F-Secure VPN. This may include monitoring IP addresses and other network traffic to identify VPN usage and blocking traffic from known VPN servers or IP ranges.

Despite providing privacy and security benefits, VPNs can also be used to circumvent geographic restrictions and infringe on content distribution rights. As a result, streaming services may block VPN traffic to protect their content and enforce their agreements with content owners.

You can read more about this at this link https://community.f-secure.com/vpn-en/kb/articles/8940-why-am-i-unable-to-access-yle-areena-areena-yle-fi-when-using-f-secure-freedome-vpn

A possible workaround to this issue is to turn off the VPN and then turn it back on to obtain a new IP address that is not blocked by the streaming service. Additionally, users can consider using the F-Secure VPN app to bypass the VPN on Windows and Android as described in the following links:

Thank you and have a good day.

Product & Pricing Info