Why can't I use the password vault/ID protection as standalone app with a Total subscription?

Options
User42
User42 Posts: 5 Observer

(I previously posted this in News and Feedback, thinking it was feedback, but then realized it was the wrong place.)

I'm a long time user of ID Protection (and its predecessors). Often I've licensed the Total subscription, because it includes Freedome which I sometimes use, and Total is cheaper than getting Freedome and the Password Vault separately. I don't need or use any of the other included services.

Previously I've been able to install ID Protection separately, but now my only option is apparently to install the Total app. I discussed with F-Secure customer support today, who verified this. I find this very annoying.

Previously when I needed a password, I would hit the Win key and type "ID" + Enter, and the app would open, and similarly on a Mac with "Cmd+Space". Now I have to start the F-Secure app, and then find the Open button for Password Vault among six other buttons, and click on it. This is a lot slower, annoying and unnecessary. This is huge degradation in usability in my opinion. Why can't I have the option to run just Password Vault/ID protection that my subscription includes? Or alternatively, is it possible to make a shortcut or something that directly launches the Password Vault (even if it would leave my computer cluttered with apps I don't need/use)?

Accepted Answer

Answers

• User42
    edited November 2023
    Options

I'm a long time user of ID Protection (and its predecessors). Often I've licensed the Total subscription, because it includes Freedome which I sometimes use, and Total is cheaper than getting Freedome and the Password Vault separately. I don't need or use any of the other included services.

Previously I've been able to install ID Protection separately, but now my only option is apparently to install the Total app. I discussed with F-Secure customer support today, who verified this. I find this very annoying.

Previously when I needed a password, I would hit the Win key and type "ID" + Enter, and the app would open, and similarly on a Mac with "Cmd+Space". Now I have to start the F-Secure app, and then find the Open button for Password Vault among six other buttons, and click on it. This is a lot slower, annoying and unnecessary. This is huge degradation in usability in my opinion. Why can't I have the option to run just Password Vault/ID protection that my subscription includes? Or alternatively, is it possible to make a shortcut or something that directly launches the Password Vault (even if it would leave my computer cluttered with apps I don't need/use)?

• User42
    edited November 2023
    Options

Ok , this was the wrong place to post. How can I delete it? I'll post it in the correct forum.

• s41y4j1n
    s41y4j1n Posts: 17 Enthusiast
    Options

I can definitely relate to your experience. I've been using ID Protection for a while now, and as you mentioned, it's incredibly convenient to have all my passwords at my fingertips with just a single click.

I understand that Fsecure is aiming for a simplified, all-in-one app approach, which I appreciate as it eliminates the need to manage multiple applications. The autofill feature is generally reliable, but there are instances where I need to manually enter passwords.

It would be great if they could implement a shortcut similar to the one for accessing Total's settings. having a dedicated shortcut would be even more convenient.

🤠

• User42
    Options

I get that people that want to use all services may want to have it consolidated, but why don't you let Total customers install just the ID Protection app if they just need ID Protection on a computer, as you still have that as a standalone app (for ID Protection customers)? Why remove that option from Total customers?

I have ID Protection on a Windows computer (from a previous subscription) that I'm able to sync with my current Total subscription (just like I want it). So there's nothing technically preventing it. Why can't you let me install ID Protection on new computers?

I can't see how having to open two apps (first Total, and then from there the password manager) can in any way be a better user experience. If you are going to force me to install more apps than I need, then please at least let me directly open the app I need (just by using the keyboard).