Has youtube found a way to circumvent freedomes tracking protection?

Options
NatV
NatV Posts: 19 Enthusiast

Hello,

I use Chrome with the free version of Adblock plus.

When youtube started its crackdown on ad blockers, I whitelistet the site in Adblock plus. Freedomes tracking protection prevented the ads from being played, displaying a black screen with the spinning wheel in stead.

This has changed today. Youtube plays the ads even when the site is not whitelisted in Adblock plus as well as when tracking protection in freedome is activated.

I don't like that at all. Am I getting paranoid or is youtube really sabotaging both ad blocker and VPN?

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,702 Community Manager
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @NatV

Thank you for your post.

While it's possible that YouTube has made changes or found workarounds affecting traditional ad-blockers and VPN tracking protection, it's worth noting that online platforms, including YouTube, frequently update their algorithms and systems. Such updates can impact the effectiveness of third-party tools.

For more detailed information, you may consider reaching out to YouTube directly. They might provide insights into recent changes and potential solutions: YouTube Help (google.com)

Should you need further assistance or have additional questions, feel free to let us know.

Thank you, and have a great day.

Answers

• NatV
    NatV Posts: 19 Enthusiast
    Options

@Firmy, I'm a bit taken aback by your reply.

Me reaching out to youtube would be futile and a waste of time. If they really can deactivate a VPNs tracking protection, you and all other VPN providers have a huge problem. Because if youtube can do it, others can, too. And for me a VPN solution then becomes close to useless. There is a limit of how much I'm willing to pay for being able to hide my physical location.

I expect F-secure to look into this and find out what's going on. I suppose you have a direct line to youtube and a well functioning legal department to assess the legality.

Product & Pricing Info