How to do SSH connection bypassing VPN?

Options
batemanj
batemanj Posts: 5 New Member

Hi

I'm using the latest version of Freedome VPN 2.69.35.0 and it has a great feature of choosing Apps to bypass VPN which is working fine (mostly). I chose Firefox browser and able to access internet directly from Firefox bypassing VPN, perfect!

Now, I need to make an SSH connection to outside Linux box bypassing VPN. I tried bypassing, "Windows terminal", cmd.exe, ssh.exe and even git bash (where i could use ssh) to bypass VPN but none of them work as they all connect to remote SSH server via VPN interface only even though I bypassed those apps in Freedome VPN.

Tried static routes but they are not working on this version. I know Reverse SSH tunneling might work but I dont want to open ports on my windows laptop.

Could anyone pls suggest anyway to connect ssh bypassing vpn?

TIA

Tagged:

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,702 Community Manager
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @batemanj

Thank you for your post.

There's a link between C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH\ssh.exe and another location, such as C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_openssh-client-components-onecore_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.19041.3570_none_74a42cd0d1e69b3b\ssh.exe, in Windows (the link might different for your situation). This link might cause confusion with the bypass feature. As a workaround, you can copy the ssh.exe file to a different location, like C:\myssh\ssh.exe, and set it as the bypass app. Be sure to update the path so that programs like git can locate this ssh.exe.

Another option is to enable the killswitch and set a trusted network, allowing you to use a static routes-based approach.

If you have further questions or need assistance, feel free to reach out.

Thank you, and have a great day.

Product & Pricing Info