VPN for Google TV (Sony)

Options
MeanMachine
MeanMachine Posts: 2 New Member

Been using F-Secure VPN for my new Sony TV for a year without problem. Out of the blue nothing works on permanent basis. Dropouts all the time and sometimes no connection at all. Based in Portugal and need the VPN to watch Swedish television and Sweden based media productions.

Tagged:

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,702 Community Manager
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @MeanMachine

Welcome to the F-Secure Community. Thank you for your post.

Please make sure that your Sony TV is a Google Certified Android TV to ensure that the app works properly. You can check the Play Protect certification status by following the steps in this link: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7165974?hl=en

Additionally, could you please specify the Swedish television service you are trying to watch? It's possible that the streaming service may be blocking access from certain devices or regions.

Streaming services may prevent access to F-Secure Freedome VPN and other VPN services to enforce their content distribution rights and copyright agreements with content owners. F-Secure Freedome VPN works by redirecting your internet traffic through its servers and disguising your IP address to appear as though you are browsing the internet from a different location.

When someone uses F-Secure Freedome VPN to access a streaming service, they can bypass the geographic restrictions and appear to be accessing the service from a different location. However, this can violate the content distribution rights and copyright agreements of the streaming service and its content owners.

To enforce their agreements, streaming services use various measures to detect and block VPN traffic, including F-Secure Freedome VPN. This may include monitoring IP addresses and other network traffic to identify VPN usage and blocking traffic from known VPN servers or IP ranges.

Despite providing privacy and security benefits, VPNs can also be used to circumvent geographic restrictions and infringe on content distribution rights. As a result, streaming services may block VPN traffic to protect their content and enforce their agreements with content owners.

You can read more about this at this link https://community.f-secure.com/vpn-en/kb/articles/8940-why-am-i-unable-to-access-yle-areena-areena-yle-fi-when-using-f-secure-freedome-vpn

A possible workaround to this issue is to turn off the VPN and then turn it back on to obtain a new IP address that is not blocked by the streaming service.

Thank you and have a good day.

Answers

• MeanMachine
    MeanMachine Posts: 2 New Member
    Options

Thank you for your answer

The thing is that nothing works with the FSecure VPN regarding TV. Even tried to turn it on/off but no difference. I'm aware of the rules around TV and VPN but the thing is that some friends of mine with exactly the same setup with the TV, Internet provider and capacity but different VPN provider runs all the shows without any problem what so ever.

• User_86091
    User_86091 Posts: 1 Observer
    Options

I have a Sony TV and use Freedome VPN. I have lately been having problems watching foreign TV programs, and especially Swedish TV (SVT). But if I briefly unplug the TV from the power network, then plug it in again it starts working. I have to do this every time I want to see Swedish TV, just shutting down the TV with the remote does not work.

Product & Pricing Info