how do you check shortened links for being legit?

Options
lulu_lan_power012
lulu_lan_power012 Posts: 1 New Member
edited April 2 in F-Secure Total

Yoy can get shortned links from friends or organsiations and from strangers. They can send themnin a chat, email or sms. How do you check if the source is legit?

Accepted Answer

• PawełP
    PawełP Posts: 218 Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @lulu_lan_power012

Thank you very much for your post and welcome to our forum community.

This is a very good question.

First of all, I would like to point out that in our program we offer protection already at the stage of searching pages in Google and Bing browsers. In the search results, a security rating appears next to individual URLs in the form of colored tags (green, gray, red).

Another level of protection is that when you try to run a URL that contains harmful material, Browsin Protection immediately blocks it and it is not possible to open it.

There is no special tool to check URLs before trying to open them, but the harmful ones will be blocked by our program the moment you click on such a link.

I hope it will be helpful.

Pawel

Making every digital moment secure, for everyone

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,632 Superuser
    Options

Hello,

How do you check if the source is legit?

Just to point out about this part.

as such, there are some (a lot of, actually) resources and services which provides you a web-tool like: you put received "URL" - they give you "URL" of resulted page (what will be after visiting received URL). However, I did not use any of them as such AND I am not sure if they completely safe; and I do not know which to recommend. Perhaps, it is easy to search and find even by query like your topic name.

But as an alternative - you could check any received URL with VirusTotal-like websites (VirusTotal - Home) as a second opinion or some sort of information before visiting.

As my own feelings - I do not think there any need to use "shortened links" by any good intention. So, it is always suspicious and tricky ones.

Those, which are social media (like YouTube or twitter or something...) - perhaps are known to you. However, the content on that platform still can be 'unwanted'.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.