Freedome + Steam Application Bypass Causes BSOD

Zadokk
Zadokk Posts: 4 Explorer
edited January 3 in Privacy VPN

I've been having some blue screens of death when I start my PC recently and I've been trying to narrow down the causes. I have finally figured out what the cause is.

Setup:

• Windows 11
  • F-Secure Freedome
  • Steam set up to bypass VPN
  • Start Freedome and connect to node
  • Start Steam

Result:

• Blue screen of death
  • KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED reported as error
  • netio.sys reported as responsible file

I am reasonably certain that this is the combination of things causing the problems because if I tinker with the set up I get different, expected results:

• Preventing one of either Freedome or Steam from launching at Windows startup does not cause immediate BSOD
  • Removing Steam from my exceptions list does not cause BSOD

This BSOD is still happening even after following generic troubleshooting tips for this file / error (eg updating drivers, updating BIOS, etc).

So, I guess my question is: are you aware of this issue? Are you able to replicate it?

For your servers' sake I've not been routing Steam downloads through them, but I guess now I have no choice.

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,862 Community Manager
    Answer ✓

Hello @Zadokk

Thank you for your post.

I regret to hear that you're experiencing a BSOD issue when adding Steam app under VPN bypass on F-Secure Freedome VPN. However, I'm here to help.

Have you encountered the same issue when adding Steam under F-Secure Total app? The Privacy VPN is also available on F-Secure Total, and since you have a trial account for it, I would suggest trying to download the app on your computer and add Steam app under VPN bypass. You may refer to this link on how to download and install F-Secure Total: Installing the product on your computer | Total | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

Please let me know how it goes and if you're still facing the same issue.

Thank you, and have a good day.

Firmy
    Community Manager | F-Secure Community
    🔐 Strengthening digital security through knowledge and collaboration
    🌐 Explore our User Guides | Knowledge Base for self-help resources
    💻 Empower yourself with Cybersecurity Insights and protect what matters

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info