Freedome + Steam Application Bypass Causes BSOD
I've been having some blue screens of death when I start my PC recently and I've been trying to narrow down the causes. I have finally figured out what the cause is.
- Windows 11
- F-Secure Freedome
- Steam set up to bypass VPN
- Start Freedome and connect to node
- Start Steam
- Blue screen of death
- KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED reported as error
- netio.sys reported as responsible file
I am reasonably certain that this is the combination of things causing the problems because if I tinker with the set up I get different, expected results:
- Preventing one of either Freedome or Steam from launching at Windows startup does not cause immediate BSOD
- Removing Steam from my exceptions list does not cause BSOD
This BSOD is still happening even after following generic troubleshooting tips for this file / error (eg updating drivers, updating BIOS, etc).
So, I guess my question is: are you aware of this issue? Are you able to replicate it?
For your servers' sake I've not been routing Steam downloads through them, but I guess now I have no choice.