delete file on a external portable disk content a virus impossible

Caramel
Caramel Posts: 2 Observer
edited January 3 in F-Secure Total

Hi Community,

Afer running an analyze of my computer (w10pro 64bits) f-secure identify file (app imgburn.exe) like virus and when I tried to delete this file alert popup tells "impossible to delete file on the disk in reader only..

I suppose that because this file is on a portable HDD connected to a usb port of my laptop.

Some could tell me an advice to modify and give the autorisation to f-secure to delete securly this file ?

Many thanks for your kind help

My be because

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,824 Community Manager
    Answer ✓

Hello @Caramel

Welcome to the F-Secure Community. Thank you for your post.

It's possible that the write protection feature on your portable HDD is causing this issue. Here are a few friendly steps you can try to resolve the problem:

1. Check for a physical write protection switch: Some portable HDDs have a physical switch that can lock or unlock the write protection feature. Locate this switch on your HDD and make sure it is in the unlocked position.
    2. Check the file properties: Right-click on the file and select "Properties." Ensure that the file is not set as read-only. If it is, uncheck the "Read-only" attribute and try deleting the file again.
    3. Run as Administrator: Right-click on the file or the application you're using to delete the file and select "Run as Administrator." This grants elevated permissions and may allow you to delete the file.
    4. Use a different file manager: Try using a different file manager application or the command prompt to delete the file.
    5. Check disk permissions: Make sure you have the necessary permissions to modify or delete files on the portable HDD. Right-click on the HDD drive, go to "Properties," then navigate to the "Security" tab. Adjust the permissions accordingly to allow modifications or deletions.

If none of these steps work, it's possible that the file or the portable HDD itself is experiencing some issues. In such cases, it's recommended to contact Microsoft or your portable HDD provider for further assistance.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you, and have a wonderful day.

Answers

• Caramel
    Caramel Posts: 2 Observer

Hello ,

I checked all your suggestions and even the portable disk and the sofware.exe who is a virus detected

So now I can delete manually this file but should I reboot my PC W10pro in a safe mode to delete it ?

Many thanks for your great help

Have a nice day,

Phil

This discussion has been closed.