No masterpassword and recovery code. Tried re-installing but no luck. At a loss...

Nelleke
Nelleke Posts: 3 Observer
edited September 2023 in F-Secure ID Protection

Hi!

I installed ID-protection on my mac yesterday. Tried what I thought was my masterpassword but no luck. I don't have a recovery code and can't create one since I can't get in.

Uninstalled and re-installed I don't how many times, doesn't work..

Installed it on my iphone and it works immediately.. The masterpassword on my phone does not work on the computer and neither does the recovery code (for it doesn't match the masterpassword on my mac)

Then I thought to be smart and removed my computer as one of the licenses, and now I cannot even add it again, because I need the masterpassword which I don't seem to have.

Am at a loss, tried everything I read in all your messages but still could not get it to work.

Appreciate the help :)

Accepted Answer

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    Answer ✓

Hello,

Thanks for your response.

Well, let's assume that your passwords / entries are safe (for example, there is access to your mobile device). If it is possible - good if you then will find a way to backup it somehow.

Now, let's suppose that your Mac is stuck with some User Data (your configured installation). For example, if there is a masterpassword (unknown) and some entries / passwords are stored. You said that already tried uninstallation tool and other things.

If you can try to 'clear up' things on Mac (meaning: 'potential' storage will be cleared - so, no access to previous one - but you will start from scratch OR by syncing with mobile device). There is KB article about How can I remove F-Secure ID PROTECTION completely from a Mac?:

removing "the local storage (containing your Vault data)" is the point. If after this action - and with clean (further) ID Protection installation - you will be asked for a master password (as before) - back with reply..

thanks!

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I installed ID-protection on my mac yesterday. Tried what I thought was my masterpassword but no luck. I don't have a recovery code and can't create one since I can't get in.

Was it the first time? I mean, unlikely fresh (first time) ID Protection installation on Mac should greet you by requesting masterpassword. Instead, it should be with an option to set up one OR to sync with other device (from there).

Sorry if my feeling is outdate, though. But sounds that this is still as how it works (Installing ID PROTECTION on Mac computers | Total | Latest | F-Secure User Guides).

If on your Mac there was ID Protection before. So, maybe it is still pinned to 'that' masterpassword (from at the time). Perhaps, it can be F-Secure KEY (or migration from F-Secure KEY as described there: How do I move from KEY to ID PROTECTION on desktop devices? | ID PROTECTION | Latest | F-Secure User Guides)

Otherwise, if your situation was like - you tried to sync devices, but at this step - masterpassword is not accepted (after first step of syncing by putting its sync-code) - then I am not sure what to suggest.

Uninstalled and re-installed I don't how many times, doesn't work..

If it is always "enter your masterpassword" right after installation - then indeed there is already "ID Protection : User Data" (or equivalent to Windows style: After upgrade from F-Secure KEY to F-Secure ID PROTECTION, KEY: User Data is still visible on the Windows Apps and Features list. - F-Secure Community)

One way is to try F-Secure Uninstall Tool For Mac (available: Support tools | F-Secure)

Readme: Support tools | F-Secure

But I cannot 100% recommend it. Since it may affect other F-Secure solutions AND perhaps User Data will be erased (in case if it is about something critical).

You can try to approach official Support Agents via web-chat (Contact support | F-Secure) - so, they will technically investigate it.

Installed it on my iphone and it works immediately.. The masterpassword on my phone does not work on the computer and neither does the recovery code (for it doesn't match the masterpassword on my mac)

Sounds explainable - if both devices were about different masterpasswords (different user-data and both stored on devices).

Then I thought to be smart and removed my computer as one of the licenses, and now I cannot even add it again, because I need the masterpassword which I don't seem to have.

Can you describe this action a bit more?

You removed 'device' from My F-Secure portal, right? Then, when you cannot add it again? Or where masterpassword requested to add it?

----

Also, note that there were discussion about recent troubles for iOS (at least) with logging. Good to re-try 'normal' way before any further tries.

How I see your flow:

-> you install F-Secure ID Protection on Mac;

-> you launch it and screen with "Enter your master password" is visible.

if so --> looks like there is already User Data which existed on device. Since 'known' master-password is not accepted. PROBABLY, this is about another one OR maybe you change it back then. Unless there is a known trouble about 'accepting' valid masterpassword with ID Protection - but because you mentioned that already read all possible places - then I assume that nothing applied to your situation.

IF -> you install F-Secure ID Protection on Mac;

-> and then tried to sync with another device; AND THEN master-password is not accepted (which accepted with 'another device') - so, at least, we will know that trouble is about that step.

Thanks!

• Nelleke

Hi!

Thank you so much for your elaborate reply.

I tried what you suggested, used the Uninstall for MAC (more than once) and re-installed the program, but every time I opened it after re-installing it, it just ask for the masterpassword. Again, tried what I thought I had chosen as a password, but nothing worked.

What I meant with taking the license away from my computer:

I logged in on my F-secure page and in the overview of all the appliances connected to F-secure removed my mac from the list.

I can download the program, but cannot connect my computer to one of the licences available (only 1 of 5 in use by my iphone).

It just makes me download the program again and after doing so just asks for the masterpassword again (which I don't seem to have).

• Nelleke

Thank you so much for your help! I managed to remove all the data and start over!!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info