Freedome blocks the Android Auto App

Options
znrd
znrd Posts: 2 Observer
edited April 2 in F-Secure VPN

I am using Android Auto along with the Motorola MA1 adapter.

It happens that Freedome is blocking Android Auto resulting in connection failure.

I wanted to put AA on the whitelist but it does not appear on the list of Apps.

Is there any solution other than shutting the VPN off manually?

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,649 Community Manager
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @znrd @Mafr1 @kaleviko

The Android Auto functionality is a built-in system feature provided by Google for compatible Android devices. It is not an app that can be downloaded from the Google Play Store. Therefore, you won't find a specific feature or option to bypass Android Auto in the VPN app because Android Auto itself is not an app.

To learn more about Android Auto and its features, you can refer to the following links:

https://www.android.com/auto/

https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/6348029?hl=en

Regarding VPNs and their potential impact on Android Auto, it's important to note that the way VPNs route network traffic can sometimes interfere with the functioning of Android Auto. The bypass feature in F-Secure VPN is designed to allow certain apps to connect directly to the internet, bypassing the VPN connection. For more information on how to use this feature, you can refer to this link: Setting apps to connect directly to the internet | VPN | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

As a temporary workaround, if you are experiencing issues with Android Auto while using a VPN, it is advisable to turn off the VPN while using Android Auto to ensure a smoother experience.

If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please let us know. We're here to help.

Thank you, and have a wonderful day.

Answers

• Mafr1
    Mafr1 Posts: 1 Observer
    Options

I have exactly the same problem, but with the Somstyle adapter.

I cannot allow list Android Auto, because it is not listed as an app in Freedome VPN.

Searching for a solution other than shutting the VPN off manually?

Thanks.

• kaleviko
    kaleviko Posts: 6 Explorer
    Options

Why this problem is not still answered by f-secure. I can nyt understand.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,619 Superuser
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hello,

Why this problem is not still answered by f-secure. I can nyt understand.

I think either it is not possible to bypass Android Auto for VPN app or (yet) not possible to bypass system apps with F-Secure VPN.

I cannot allow list Android Auto, because it is not listed as an app in Freedome VPN.

I am also only an F-Secure user, but I do not use VPN much (and not near my device with installed F-Secure application where Privacy VPN is included). But could you tell me:

• is Android Auto built-in app on your device? Or it is 'third party' one (which can be installed from Play Store)?
    • is any other system app (pre-installed, built-in or so) listed in Freedome VPN? I do remember that, for example, Google Play Store was there (at least) - but not sure that this is the same category with modern "Android Auto" feature.

It is looks like that most of VPN solutions with this trouble to excluding/bypassing Android Auto. More often, because "Android Auto" became a system (?) app, which is pre-installed or built-in - so not listed at all (as app). Rarely, because VPN solution will not provide an option to exclude/bypass system ones/processes or such things.

Thanks!

// and, well, if this sort of applications as "Android Auto" is not listed in Freedome VPN (bypass options) at all - it is a good idea to put feature request there: Feature Requests — F-Secure Community

• kaleviko
    Options

When i have android version 10 in nokia phone, android auto was In the vpn list. Not in android 13 and in Samsung Phone.

• kaleviko
    Options

Why this problem is still going on? It is so simple, that f-secure asks, that the android adds the android auto to the application list. It is so simple. Why are you not doing so. You are not a good company to the customer. It is samefull.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,619 Superuser
    Options

Hello,

Why this problem is still going on? It is so simple, that f-secure asks, that the android adds the android auto to the application list. It is so simple. Why are you not doing so. You are not a good company to the customer. It is samefull.

Still not an answer, but an advice: you can meanwhile to vote this feature request:

• eThor243
    eThor243 Posts: 11 Enthusiast
    Options

Hello...

Still not an answer for me : as I use my phone, I continue to see such screens while updating ( see below). The first one is an application different from the os...

You are saying to all users of an Android phone that they should shut down their data security each time they use their car?

You also are saying that you cannot allow users to use an application that is designed to add security while driving?

If you are having trouble working with Google, please correct this!

For me it is a very serious issue...Asking users to add a request is not correct answer, I think, as it is kind of major issue...

Please, correct this.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info