Odd TLS error only with Freedome

Options
OSX_rulez
OSX_rulez Posts: 27 Enthusiast
edited October 2023 in F-Secure VPN

Hello, today I couldn't visit a website because Safari on iOS shown an error about establishing a secure connection. So I checked it with TLS Inspector on the same iPhone and even that app couldn't connect to check the certificate chain!

So I did a complete check with SSL Labs on my Mac, and the website didn't have any issue, the TLS is 1.3 and the overall certificate grade is A+

So why is Freedome not loading that website and showing a (wrong) error? You are not tampering with the TLS chain, right? This is happening no matter which of your servers I used. And without the VPN, the site loads correctly on whatever browser.

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,712 Community Manager
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @OSX_rulez

Thank you for your post.

We would greatly appreciate it if you could kindly provide us with more information about your post. Could you please share the website's URL and let us know which servers you are connected to? Additionally, it would be helpful if you could tell us the version of F-Secure Freedome VPN you are using and if the issue occurs on iOS only or on your Mac as well.

Regarding your concern, we want to assure you that we do not interfere with TLS traffic. You can find more information on this topic in the following link: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/freedome-ios/latest/en/id_81933-latest-en

To assist you in troubleshooting the issue, we recommend turning off the browsing protection feature and checking if the problem persists. You can find instructions on how to do this in the following link: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/freedome-ios/latest/en/task_1E663AF6026B453CBB515F14B1B0E857-latest-en

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you. Have a wonderful day!

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,628 Superuser
    Options

Hello,

Since any other explanation seems to be as a irrelevant by that or another reason.. can it be something about IPv6 (if used on Freedome side)?

And, anyway, maybe it is good to know which one exactly. I mean both things, a website (if possible); and an error wording.

Thanks!

• OSX_rulez
    Options

Hello @Firmy ,

the website is "franzrusso.it" and as I wrote before it doesn't load no matter which of your servers I used. I tried to connect using the Italian server, but as we all know that server is not reliable at all, so I switched to the French one (178.211.x.x) which usually works better but in this case it didn't. I also tried with the Austrian one, same problem.

With or without the browser protection is irrelevant.

It doesn't load both in iOS (16.3.x and 16.4) and macOS (Big Sur)

Error on iOS: can't establish a secure connection

Error on macOS: could not connect to the requested host (safari and firefox, latest relaeses)

Freedome iOS: 3.4.1.8956

Freedome macOS: 2.64.767.0

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,712 Community Manager
    Options

Hello @OSX_rulez

Thank you for reaching out to me!

After doing some testing on my end, it appears that the website you mentioned is geo-locked. However, I was able to access it by using a server located in Espoo, Finland.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

Wishing you a wonderful day!

• OSX_rulez
    Options

Hello @Firmy

what do you mean by "geo-locked"? If I use my Italian IP (dynamic, it changes every day) that website loads correctly. And it is also using SSL Labs, or whatever service like "is it down for me".

So, I think the problem is the VPN.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info