Freedome

Tillemannen
Tillemannen Posts: 3 Observer
edited September 2023 in F-Secure VPN

What is the difference between your FREEDOME and your PRIVACY VPN? Both are possible?

Why is Privacy VPN showing up even when I have Freedome installed and active?

Why do you have two kinds of VPN??

Accepted Answer

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,655 Superuser
    Answer ✓

Hello,

I am also only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

There are some changes and it is including some wording about solutions. So, I just place some KB articles as a base.

What is the difference between your FREEDOME and your PRIVACY VPN?

First of all, "F-Secure FREEDOME" solution is now called as "F-Secure VPN" solution. And it is a package of VPN software with some extras (F‑Secure VPN — One click to online privacy | F-Secure).

Then, F-Secure TOTAL (F-Secure app) is now all-in-one security much more than before. And, probably, with a modular approach. Quote from another topic """F-Secure will introduce a new face of F-Secure products with AV features, VPN, Browsing Protection, ID Monitoring, Password Vault, and Family Rules for all devices. The user also has the option to choose the combinations such as VPN + Antivirus in one app only.""". Thus, "F-Secure TOTAL" solution (F-Secure Total — One app to secure your digital moments | F-Secure) can be with enabled option/feature/module, which is called as 'Privacy VPN'. It is default set or likely 'optional'. Online guide with a generic description about: Privacy VPN | Total | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

The difference is:

• FREEDOME (also known as F-Secure FREEDOME / F-Secure FREEDOME VPN; and now known as F-Secure VPN) is a VPN application. Online guide about this solution (FREEDOME VPN | VPN | Latest | F-Secure User Guides); When you purchased F-Secure VPN package - your purchase is only about that solution (VPN and related features). Same with F-Secure Internet Security (previously known as F-Secure SAFE) - which acted as general "AV" solution - possible to purchase it as only that solution (F‑Secure Internet Security — Award-winning antivirus | F-Secure with AV and Browsing protection functionality). For example, call it 'flashlight'.
    • PRIVACY VPN is a feature / functionality / module or a vital part of F-Secure TOTAL application. Which is all-in one solution (it can be AV+BP+VPN+Integrity Protection+Password Manager and so on.. based on current offering). Informally, you can treat it as "FREEDOME" (F-Secure VPN), which is built-in in F-Secure TOTAL UI and design. For example, we can call it built-in 'flashlight' in your smartphone.

The difference between old F-Secure TOTAL and fresh:

• F-Secure FREEDOME VPN also was part of F-Secure TOTAL package before. Where "F-Secure Total" was a combination of solutions (like) "F-Secure SAFE + F-Secure FREEDOME". So to use it - you need to install F-Secure FREEDOME VPN and F-Secure SAFE applications.
    • Now, F-Secure TOTAL when installed is already about "SAFE" (AV, Browsing Protection, Parental Control functionality) and "Privacy VPN". In addition, Password Vault and related things. So, you need to install only one application. And then 'install' or activate modules of your desire.

Why is Privacy VPN showing up even when I have Freedome installed and active?

So, perhaps, your system with two solutions. F-Secure FREEDOME (and its subscription) and F-Secure TOTAL (or upgrade to TOTAL was recently) with its subscription.

Privacy VPN is a part of F-Secure TOTAL application.

FREEDOME (F-Secure VPN) is a VPN application.

Perhaps, F-Secure TOTAL will not force users to withdraw existed subscription to another solution (FREEDOME) or to dismiss use of only VPN software. So, both showing up.

However, I feel that the only one of them can properly work. You cannot run them both.

Potentially, I feel that recommendation is a switch to F-Secure TOTAL with built-in Privacy VPN feature.

Also, If you can.. could you describe a bit more about "showing up even when installed and active". Sounds as a description of bug or something like that. What is your platform (Windows, Mac) and when described 'showing up' is happened.

Why do you have two kinds of VPN??

It is likely that the basic 'kind' is the same between them. So, because of this - it is not possible or recommended to keep both things "F-Secure VPN" and "F-Secure TOTAL with active Privacy VPN module".

However, F-Secure VPN ('Freedome') as a "VPN" application is an options to users and people who want to purchase or use only F-Secure's VPN solution and there is no need for something else. Less price, probably. More compatible with another AV software.

F-Secure TOTAL with Privacy VPN module is a way to keep things easier for user. So, no longer need to install another application after initial F-Secure TOTAL installation. It is already with VPN solution in there.

Is my try to explain situation helpful?

Thanks!

Answers

• Tillemannen

Again: Why two similar VPN-services from F-Secure

• Ukko
    edited March 2023

Hello,

As a follow-up to another topic.

Why two similar VPN-services from F-Secure

F-Secure Freedome (F-Secure FREEDOME VPN) and as now known "F-Secure VPN" is indeed a service. You can purchase F-Secure VPN as a VPN solution and use it.

However, F-Secure will also offer another kind of packages and solutions. One of them is "F-Secure Internet Security" service. Which is AV and Browsing Protection solution. Nothing more like VPN or Password Managers.

But another solution/package is "F-Secure TOTAL". This application will include AV and BP functionality in addition to extras like Password Vault, Identity Protection and VPN (which is called "Privacy VPN" feature).

If you want all-in-one security solution and protection. F-Secure TOTAL app is a great choice (F-Secure Total — One app to secure your digital moments | F-Secure).

If you want only VPN - F-Secure VPN is an option (F‑Secure VPN — One click to online privacy | F-Secure).

When you managed to be with both in your system. For example, if F-Secure FREEDOME is installed and F-Secure TOTAL with its latest build where Privacy VPN is included - then it is, perhaps, a limitation of transition. And possibility for users to choose what to keep and use.

Likely that it is 'incompatible' to be running all together. You need to run one or another way.

But if you willing - could you add a bit more of background about concern and unclarity about differences or needs.

Thanks!

• Tillemannen

OK - Great thanks for this exhaustive answers!

I am using of course, F-Secure Total and Feedome, but still "Pricacy VPN" showes up on my Android all the time... somehow not necessary I think!

/Till

• Ukko

Hello,

OK - Great thanks for this exhaustive answers!

Good if it helped you!

I am using of course, F-Secure Total and Feedome, but still "Pricacy VPN" showes up on my Android all the time... somehow not necessary I think!

I see, I've never actually used Freedome on Android (probably, or I just didn't quite remember).

I'm not sure what I can express, but if it causes any serious inconvenience - it might make sense to attach a screenshot of such a show up of the built-in Privacy VPN feature (in my beta application - it's inside the UI with the ability to enable it. And I never remembered any notifications or something about it). Maybe it will become clear why this happens when F-Secure TOTAL (for Android) and Freedome are installed! And how to avoid it.

I think one of the explanations is either an attempt to announce that F-Secure TOTAL is now also with VPN capability (when you try to enable Freedome, for example) or the way VPN profiles are made in the Android system.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info