Screen Locked says "Trojan Spyware"

System
System Posts: 130 Enthusiast
This discussion was created from comments split from: DeepGuard keeps asking for mount events.

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,621 Community Manager
    Answer ✓

Hello @Tosha

Welcome to the F-Secure Community page. Thank you for your post.

•  Mostly, it will not be a virus on the computer, it is an adware/website hoax that is trying to make you click on links and send money.  
    • These types of pop-ups normally follow a certain pattern: The scammers usually claim that your computer has a problem, say a virus—when it doesn't—and then they trick you into paying for a service that doesn't exist either. They catch you off-guard and play on your emotions. Here is the basic scenario: the scammers claim to be from a well-known company such as Microsoft, your bank, or even your network operator. They ask you to call a certain phone number. As they use a reputable name, this puts you more at ease. They also seem knowledgeable and use technical terms, which makes them seem legitimate and believable. As the risk seems real and you feel worried about computer viruses, you give the scammers access to your computer. 
    • This is not a virus on the computer, it is an adware/website hoax that is trying to make you click on links and send money. What you did was correct to end the task to close the browsers.
    1. Press simultaneously keys Ctrl + Alt + Del.
    2. Select Task Manager
    3. Select the internet browser you have open.
    4. Select End task. 
    • And as advised by @Ukko you can run a full computer scan. You can also perform a full computer scan to make sure there is nothing malicious on Windows PC:
    1. Open F-Secure Internet Security on your computer
    2. Select Tools
    3. Select Virus scan options.
    4. Select Full computer scan.

Kindly let me know if you require further help.

Thank you and have a good day.

Answers

• Tosha
    Tosha Posts: 1 Observer

Good morning, please help! I have 2 computers in my home. The one computer has a bug or hack in it right now. I can sign into my computer to begin in the morning and attempt to go into Facebook and the screen has red and "X" all over the screen and say 'TROJAN SPYWARE' and locks up. I have to do a "control + ALT + delete to close the screen.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Good morning, please help! I have 2 computers in my home. The one computer has a bug or hack in it right now. I can sign into my computer to begin in the morning and attempt to go into Facebook and the screen has red and "X" all over the screen and say 'TROJAN SPYWARE' and locks up. I have to do a "control + ALT + delete to close the screen.

Perhaps, it is unrelated to original theme of topic.. but anyway.

As such, the description sounds as you met sort of 'scareware' or 'fake alerts' threat. In a way, sort of PUA (Classification Guide | F-Secure). Because it is a bit of hard to imagine the only mentioned huge (X) and "TROJAN SPYWARE" notification from something legit. Maybe the intention is to scare you and provoke some further actions like clicking something or installing something that is malicious or harmful.

The trouble is why such an attempt there.

And even more - better to know exactly how the described trouble is looks like (screenshot, for example) and routine to get it. Is it necessarily to login into Facebook? Is it web-browser wide appearance or system-wide?

Additionally, if any security solution is installed in your system - try to run Full Scan for a start.

If help from Community is needed, then good to know also what is your Operating system (Windows or Mac).

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info