Why the preview of my screenshot is not showing correctly?

Ian_C
Ian_C Posts: 6 Observer

Hi,

The preview of my screenshot has an issue when I try to attach it in Gmail (or other apps) as shown in the attachment below. The name of the screenshot is Screenshot_20221111-181122.png.

The correct preview of the screenshot is shown in the attachment below. Only Files by Google app is able to show the correct preview.

And the actual image of the screenshot is shown in the attachment below.

I don't know why when I try to attach the screenshot in other apps, the preview will not shows up correctly. Does anyone know why? I have tried clearing the cache and data of my Gmail app, but it doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Thank you.

Accepted Answer

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    Answer ✓

Hello,

Although I have used this phone for several years, but the results of quick analysis from Nokia's My Device app show there's no problem with my phone's storage. This is shown in the attachment below.

Surely it is a quite hard to detect such a trouble for "My Device" app. So, it will show that all is right.. and perhaps it is really indication of good state of your device health (as such). However, some internal oddities (like these ones) maybe are based on years of usage.

At least, again, on the web - there are a lot of discussions about wrong thumbnails; with different 'connection' to certain apps, or certain routine. I cannot find a proper way to search exactly about your 'situation' - but, maybe, all of situations are somehow based on something similar. Like Android bugs, or 'Files' as explorer (I think this app show these previews for you).

My devices are also Nokia. I did not really much use them, though. From time to time, with a small number of applications and 'needs'. However, I think this trouble with 'previews' are something about Android system (meaning: not a security concern, but a bug or sort of). As a result of complicated using pattern.

Furthermore, the result of the scan from my F-Secure SAFE shows there's no problem with the files in my phone. This is shown in the attachment below.

That's fine. So, at least F-Secure SAFE cannot detect any suspicious items there.

And, perhaps, all is mainly fine. File-size is always correct, filename too. The wrong point is thumbnail (preview) of the file/image. What is like a 'cache' trouble. You wrote that tried to clear cache for Gmail app, but is it possible to use the same for "Files" app?

What do you think? Is there a way to fix this issue? Thank you.

Well, on "Screenshot_20221120-111832.png" four of .png files with two 'wrong' previews (I mean, wrong ones are repeated). Could you recognize them - are they still on your system? I mean a look from that wrong preview.

So, the application (whether it is a certain one or system one) cannot get the proper one previews and re-use "older" ones for them. ?! permissions trouble? cache trouble?

If I will be able to reproduce it - I will try to play with it.

To fix this - probably - the easiest way to try is 'restore' system and to set up it again. Like re-launch from scratch. But I do not think that it is a very suitable option and a good advice. But probably could fix the trouble.

As a more friendly way - to clear cache for related applications. maybe restart them. Maybe restart phone (if you did not that for a while).

Sorry for my English!

Anyway, I will try to look at my devices and check if I can find something.

However, advice to use Nokia community / support is also very good.

Thanks!

Answers

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you trying to post a screenshot on the forum?

• Ian_C

Hi Simon,

The question I am asking is why the preview of my screenshot is not showing correctly?

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    edited November 2022

Hello,

Is it only "one screenshot" with this trouble? Or do you see it often with other screenshots?

In fact, I am not sure what can be a reason. As such, there are a lot of discussion on the web about "wrong thumbnails" (or incorrect ones) with different background, setting and so on. Thus, there may be a different explanation and reasons, and it may not be clear why at all.

However, your other concern (with Files) from another topic - maybe somehow correlated. If the device has been actively used for several years, such oddities may happen.

I tried looking at mine (Android 9, Android 12 mostly). But I could not repeat the problematic sides. Although I don't know how often (or at what moment) it is possible to detect the "missing" state of one of the "Files" apps.

It may be important - where screenshots (or other files) are stored - SD card or internal memory of the device. Is the space often reused (files are deleted \ created) and so on.

If at the moment this is one single file (screenshot) with such a problem, maybe you can try to play around. For example, first try to copy it (hmm.. I don't know which way though) and see what kind of preview the "copy" will have. And so on, like re-naming; deleting to 'trash' and restoring back.

Thanks!

// yes, while it is mostly 'general' concern. Rather than F-Secure SAFE related. At least, I am not sure that F-Secure SAFE may produce this impact.

• Ian_C

Hi Ukko,

I see it often with other screenshots too. Please take a look at the attachment below, all the screenshots in the attachment below have the same issue.

And the correct previews for these screenshots are shown in the attachment below.

Although I have used this phone for several years, but the results of quick analysis from Nokia's My Device app show there's no problem with my phone's storage. This is shown in the attachment below.

Furthermore, the result of the scan from my F-Secure SAFE shows there's no problem with the files in my phone. This is shown in the attachment below.

What do you think? Is there a way to fix this issue? Thank you.

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,621 Community Manager

Hello @Ian_C

Thank you for your post.

Perhaps you should contact the manufacturer of your mobile phone for more clarification on the configuration.

You can contact Nokia support from this link https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/support

Thank you and have a good day.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info