Due to Freedom VPN when activated my Outlook accountsetting or not accepted

Go_Fr_747747
Go_Fr_747747 Posts: 1 New Member
edited November 2022 in F-Secure VPN

At the beginning of a day , I cannot sent mails ,they are send to Postvak OUT , I must repair my account settings ( synchronistion ,serversettings wich keeps the stetting ich never changed , and several times i read " something is missing .Inactivate VPN does not make the repair , I must restart , and inactivate VPN , after then I can make a repair by appliying what is asked , by choosing repair Outlook e-mail setting , server setting , without changing a setting etc ,and read the settings who never changed . Finaly I can send mails again . Why does VPN lockes the use of my outlook account , why have I to inactivate VPN , why making a restart what allows me to send my mails again which where send to the Postvak OUT map , and can i make and send new mails ?

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,608 Community Manager
    Answer ✓

Hi @Go_Fr_747747

Welcome to our Community page. Thank you for your post.

If you use F-Secure FREEDOME VPN, you may notice that you are unable to send email any more, although you can still read email normally.

Email is typically sent via a protocol called SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.) To prevent malicious users from using the mail servers as spam relays, virtually all Internet Service Providers (ISP) do not allow email to be relayed using their mail servers except when the email is coming from the ISP's own network.

When you are using F-Secure FREEDOME VPN, all the network traffic (including the email you send) is routed through the virtual location you've selected. Because of this, the email you send comes from the Internet to the ISP, and the ISP will normally block it. You may see an error message, such as "Email relaying denied".

To fix this problem, you need to change the email sending settings on your device. Most of the ISPs allow email from the Internet when you use the encrypted version of the SMTP protocol; for example, SMTPS. With SMTPS, you are able to authenticate to the ISP's mail server.

The normal SMTP protocol port is 25, while SMTPS port is by default 465. You may simply try only changing the SMTP port number in your email configuration and see if that helps.

If the port change was not enough to get email working, please consult your ISP's documentation or support pages for instructions on what settings you need to change on your device. As this is a ISP specific configuration change, we are unable to give detailed instructions that apply to all our users.

Thank you and stay safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info