LAN speed reduced by about 50%

DavidMarlow46
DavidMarlow46 Posts: 2 New Member
edited November 2022 in F-Secure VPN

How do I increase my LAN speed to something like the supplied FTP speed pleas? Currently much reduced.

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,609 Community Manager
    Answer ✓

Hi @DavidMarlow46

Welcome to our Community page. Thank you for your post.

A certain decrease in network speed is to be expected when running any VPN solution due to the different ways the web traffic is being handled. You can refer to the following community article for more information about this subject.

If your internet connection is very slow on a Windows computer after turning the FREEDOME VPN protection on, you can try to change the VPN protocol:

1. Open F-Secure FREEDOME 
    2. Go to Settings
    3. Click Choose VPN protocol
    4. Switch between OpenVPN and IKEv2
    5. Turn the VPN protection on 

If the connection speed for some reason would still crawl to a halt, you can try these steps:

• Resetting your network router.
    • Try FREEDOME with a different network connection to make sure it is not a router issue.
    • Try to temporarily disable any antivirus that you have running (for example Panda Security has been known to cause slowness in the FREEDOME VPN connection).
    • Reinstall FREEDOME.
    • On Windows do DNS flush.
    • On Mac clear local DNS cache.
    • Delete the existing WiFi profile, and re-connect to the network once again.

If the issue continues, gather FREEDOME logs, and take speed tests with FREEDOME On, and Off, and contact our customer support.

Note: If you have hybrid broadband, that might be causing the issue, as the VPN traffic will only travel through the landline portion of the hybrid broadband, not through the wireless portion of the hybrid broadband.

Thank you and stay safe.

Answers

• DavidMarlow46
    DavidMarlow46 Posts: 2 New Member
    edited May 2022

Hi Firmy,

I have just found your reply in my junk mail; no offence!

Please see the results of my labour:

• I have cleared my Mac Cache as instructed.
    • I have smithed VPN on and Off.
    • I have run Speed Checker;

All 03/06/22

18:56 Speeds 152 / 143

18:59 Having reset the VPN off/ on

19:00 With Freedome OFF

My line speed is nominally 600 / 600 Mbps and normally exceeds.

How can you help?

I have attached diagnostics file.

This file shows the delivery speed Fibbre to Property: 600 Mbps each way

This is your diagnostic file (Freedome)

This is my network speed test which is clearly very poor when running Freedome.

Edit: PII removed

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,609 Community Manager

Hi @DavidMarlow46

I have removed the FSDIAG you posted earlier. Kindly do not share your information in our Community page.

We do NOT limit the speed on purpose, and the speed you're experiencing depends on a lot more than just the router. This below article can also provide more information:

How should I interpret Ookla Speedtest results with FREEDOME VPN? | FREEDOME | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

With your router that there is possible network related changes in the operator side as well that may have affected the routing from the operator to our FREEDOME gateway. Why does my internet connection slow down with FREEDOME? - F-Secure Community

Most of the time, the slow speed issue can be fixed using the simple basic troubleshooting techniques, like clearing the DNS cache. Sometimes bad results will be cached and therefore need to be cleared from the cache in order for you to communicate with the host correctly.

Kindly switch between the VPN protocols on FREEDOME and check if there is any difference.

Should you require further assistance, please let me know.

Thank you and stay safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info