Is it still possible to do a manually scan of files on Windows 10

BloodyUsernames21
BloodyUsernames21 Posts: 5 Observer

I got a new SSD just after Christmas to which I installed Windows 10 since they are planning to stop F-Secure on Windows 7. I have noticed that on Windows 10 if I right click on a file there is no Scan for viruses option like there is on Windows 7, see attachments.

Is that something a user can no longer do? When I download files I always like to do a scan on them first before opening.

Accepted Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    Answer ✓

Hello,

You should still be able to do this. And the appearance should be like in the Windows 7 screenshot.

With Windows 11, there may be a slightly different situation where this option may be under "Show more options".

For example, my own experience and Windows 10 is still about the context scan option.

This guide: Scan in Windows Explorer | SAFE | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

And this releases notes: What's New in F-Secure SAFE for PC and Internet Security - F-Secure Community

with nothing about another state.

So, your situation is about something else. Maybe bug, or maybe a certain state. Could you try (if not yet) just restart system (for sure, that all is installed / started well). As an extreme try - F-Secure SAFE reinstallation.

There seemed to be some troubles around this - but I think they've all been fixed. Also, I had experience when the Context Scan logo was not shown under certain conditions. But only when there also was another "third party" logo in the list (from another application). I am not sure if this is the case with your situation - but... My situation was pinned to only certain places (as I remember - drives. When I tried to context scan a certain or multiple drives - logo was not visible until a third-party logo from another application was there too). Since your screenshot about 'picture'(?) file - perhaps - it should not be the case (but you can check with some other places / file types - if you did not try it yet).

Thanks!

• Jaims
    Jaims Posts: 846 Former F-Secure Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @BloodyUsernames21

I was able to reproduce this issue on Windows 11 but reinstalling SAFE fixed the issue.

Just as @Ukko mentioned, kindly reinstall SAFE and test again. That should also work for you.

Answers

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info