“Only scan in compressed files” ?

Ilias
Ilias Posts: 5 New Member

Does this scan in compressed files also when turned on or ONLY in those files. I hope not the latter because that would have been a massive security risk for me since i always have it on. Im sure its the first but i want to be absolutely sure. I translated the option from dutch so if its not available in english please understand.

Tagged:

Accepted Answer

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    Answer ✓

Hello,

Mentioned options (probably) should be with next view:

one is "Scan only file types that commonly contain harmful code (faster)"

the second one is "Scan inside compressed files"

There is a small description about (Running a virus scan manually | SAFE | Latest | F-Secure User Guides / also available for Holland users - Een virusscan handmatig uitvoeren | SAFE | Nieuwste | F-Secure User Guides).

Perhaps, "alleen" is not used as also (for example). Is it so?

Maybe this is kind of localization trouble or miswording / misuse.

But for sure:

Does this scan in compressed files also when turned on or ONLY in those files.

Did you mean that "scan in compressed files" also, AND not only compressed files.

Or did you mean "scan in compressed files" also, BUT zipped file itself is not (as with uncheck state)?

Anyway, this option should be about scanning in compressed files (as an addition to other scanning rules) when checked. When this option is unchecked - zip-file scanned as 'archive / container' (but not any contained items inside).

Thanks! Sorry for my English. I am also only an F-Secure user.

Answers

• Ilias
    Ilias Posts: 5 New Member

Sorry for my bad english on that but i was confused by the option due to it saying ONLY instead of also. But comparing it to the english version you sent, it seems like a localization/translation mistake.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my bad english on that but i was confused by the option due to it saying ONLY instead of also. But comparing it to the english version you sent, it seems like a localization/translation mistake.

Everything is fine! The localization there, indeed, may not be entirely accurate. I mean, this can happen from time to time.

It will be nice if the F-Secure team picks up this for verification from here. And the localization team will fix it.

• Cale
    Cale Posts: 288 F-Secure Product Manager

Hi,

I asked our localization team to check it. It there is an issue that needs to be fixed, it takes about two weeks for you to get it.

-Cale

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info