F-secure and Windows Defender

Per_Vium
Per_Vium Posts: 4 New Member
edited November 2021 in F-Secure Internet Security

Like so many other users i had problems with f-secure and Microsoft Windows Defender. I have tried all the tips and tricks I could find, but to no awail.

Now i have installed Microsoft update 20H2 and Windows Defender is now disabled and the Windows Security can see F-Secure as the only and started antivirus defence.

Try it, this new version of Windows should be available now in Windows update. If not search for it. it does take a lot of time to download (it is a total installation of Windoes we get), so be patient.

Accepted Answer

• Per_Vium
    Per_Vium Posts: 4 New Member
    Answer ✓

Hi Ukko

Windows Defender was supposed to be disabled by F-secure, unfortunately it wasn't. Defender was F-secure as installed - but NOT as running.

Defender uses a substantial amount of storage and processor, so it slows down normal operation. And the same time F-secure is running - also using resources.

There are a lot of tips on the net on how to disable Defender, unfortunately they don't work on Windows 10 Home - as you and I have, but on Windows 10 Pro.

After the 20H2 update Windows Defender recorgnize F-secure is running. This is how it is supposed to be.

This is how Windows Security looks now - after 20H2 (sorry it is in danish):

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

Can I ask, what is the main trouble with F-Secure and Microsoft Windows Defender (or whatever it called)? I mean, what are you trying to sort out by all the tips and tricks? Or was it quote from somewhere?

Now i have installed Microsoft update 20H2 and Windows Defender is now disabled and the Windows Security can see F-Secure as the only and started antivirus defence.

Perhaps, that's the way how it should be. I am not sure about this particular Windows 10 update - but there can be only an option to keep Windows (Microsoft) Defender as on-demand scanner (and some more?!).

Or did you mean that it was not the case before? And both solutions were active with your system?

Try it, this new version of Windows should be available now in Windows update. If not search for it. it does take a lot of time to download (it is a total installation of Windoes we get), so be patient.

And mentioned update was a solution for your situation?

Sorry for my confusion about your concern!

Thanks!

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for your response and clarifications! Yes, indeed, your current situation is quite likely proper one.

If your previous experience was about "but NOT as running" as about "snoozed" - then it is quite popular trouble indeed. A lot of discussions about "Windows Security says AV is snoozed". My own experience is about only temporary notice. After some minutes (after system load) - F-Secure shown as running and good.

But if it was about fully "ignorance" of F-Secure SAFE and running Windows Defender all the time - then it is quite strange..

Perhaps, with your situation it was possible to try "clean" installation of F-Secure SAFE (by uninstalling it, then by using F-Secure Uninstallation Tool as double clean up; and then install F-Secure SAFE back). Otherwise, something else was wrong with system (since the update fixed it). Anyway, good that all is fine now.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info