F-Secure SAFE with iOS platform

My internet provider has offered F-Secure SAFE on a free 6 month trial which I have installed on my three iOS devices.

I have several questions:

How does it protect against viruses and malware that might be attached to an email?

I can’t see anywhere that initiates a regular scan on the device or a malware removal button if the device is infected?

Do I have to access the internet through the F-Secure App to protect while browsing rather than selecting Safari directly and selecting from my bookmarked sites?

I must be missing something otherwise I’m not sure this app. is worthwhile for iOS devices....

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello @Ploverman !

Thank you for your questions, let me try to give you a brief explanation.

Please bear in mind that an F-Secure product does not control or read your emails thus it is unable to stop spam or scam emails. If your email account is affiliated with any Internet Service Provider (ISP), please call them for support. I believe you might want to contact PostOffice UK to help you with that. Maybe this will be helpful.

Generally speaking, prevention is the most important method. Do not give your email address to every web site. If a suspicious site requires your email address during registration, rather use a free, insignificant address. Email addresses are also collected from news groups and mailing lists if the messages are published somewhere.

Also, never follow the spam messages' advice to unsubscribe. These are almost always scams to ensure your address is working.

Regarding your question about the use on iOS devices, I highly encourage you to familiarize yourself with our Help Guide for F-Secure SAFE for iOS devices:

https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/safe-ios/latest/en/concept_73A6CA692E654A518425E1CEE96B26B9-safe-ios-latest-en

Should you have any more question, feel fry to reply here , I will be happy to help 🙂

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Users have such questions from time to time. In particular, with regards to iPhone / iPad devices and iOS directly.

For example,

There is also Knowledgebase article about subject:

And an article with the title "Do Macs, iPhones and iPads need antivirus?":

Where you can find some information, explanations, answers to some questions, and general opinion.

But as my own try (I am also only an F-Secure user) to think about your points:

How does it protect against viruses and malware that might be attached to an email?

Perhaps, not many opportunities to defend. But if we are talking about the fact that these are viruses or malware for iOS, then there are probably not many known cases of such events. If we are talking about the danger for another platform, then it is good to have security software there too.

But, basically, if it will involved some known malicious website / domain - then F-Secure SAFE Browser (part of iOS solution) should block it. Otherwise, probably most of current mail services with own quite well filtered against threats (spam or malicious letters) - only need to be "careful" and do not launch or open suspicious emails or attachments.

I can’t see anywhere that initiates a regular scan on the device or a malware removal button if the device is infected?

Perhaps this point is explained by the above topics. In my opinion, there is no such option (yet). And, most likely, these are restrictions on the part of the system. It is simply not possible to implement such a thing, or it is treated like there is no need for it.

Do I have to access the internet through the F-Secure App to protect while browsing rather than selecting Safari directly and selecting from my bookmarked sites?

Probably, you need to use F-Secure SAFE browser.

There is online Help about functionality: SAFE for iOS | SAFE | Latest | F-Secure User Guides (f-secure.com)

Thanks!

• Ploverman
    Ploverman Posts: 2 New Member

Thanks for both replies above.

I use Sophos and Malwarebytes on my Windows devices which are very good. I was hoping F-Secure SAFE might be useful on my iOS but it doesn’t seem to offer what I was looking for.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for both replies above.

I use Sophos and Malwarebytes on my Windows devices which are very good. I was hoping F-Secure SAFE might be useful on my iOS but it doesn’t seem to offer what I was looking for.

By the way, what can or want you expect from a kind of security app on iOS? I've never had any experience with an iPhone or iPad, but I had (and in fact still have) a great Windows Phone device. Where, in principle, the situation is similar with a relatively secure system by default, but nevertheless the presence of potential threats. In particular, possible vulnerabilities and scam / rogue things. At the time, there was also an F-Secure SAFE application for Windows Phone (it also acted like a Safe Browser). In fact, it was quite convenient and enjoyable compared to what is available for Android. I used it more often than Internet Explorer Mobile (and didn't even think about alternative ones).

I had some thoughts about possible implementations from the side of security software. But it probably still fell out of the focus of attention of the developers. Since it requires something quite specific for only one platform.

What could be useful for iOS devices? In the absence of the ability to scan the device or to clean if something found (and probably apps there directly from the "built-in" store, which itself conducts strong checks or should). I mean what functionality? Or maybe there are examples from other companies? Just purely for my interest.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info