FS Protection 18, removing items without consent, and there is no way to turn the prompt window

Hi,

This piece of **** is removing every **** thing that I do not want to be removed, ADD **** PROMPT BUTTON.

IS that that **** difficult to have a choice WHEREVER YOUR STUPID PIECE OF **** SOFTWARE DECIDES IT'S "malware" TO REMOVE EVERY **** THING WITHOUT MY CONSENT OR GIVE A **** WHEREVER I WANT IT TO REMOVE MY FILES??????

I ran Cryptosoftware and yeah okay it flagged as a virus, wrongfully so, but... WHERE THE **** I TURN OFF "do not auto-delete every piece of ****, it is my computer, my **** computer"

And what is worse - it is not undoing its actions

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user.

I can understand this feeling in those situations when security software is imposed on you or you hate it (because you are wasting money and it doesn't work the way you would like).

But based on subject - your experience is about FS Protection. So, beta solution. And this means that you have a great opportunity to influence this or that design decisions. For example, if this is only feedback about - there may be a little more information in order to correctly understand what happened. Thus, "This piece of.." is Real-time scanning? What are "every hugging thing" exactly? When does this happen? All of a sudden, when launching a thing, manually scanning, or something else? Is it really "removing" or thing is quarantined?

However, your description with some points that sounds like "strange" and may be bug concern in a way. So, you can also put your findings on the beta portal. As a beta-report / ticket. For example, "it is not undoing its actions" - should not be so unless there is a surefire reason. And if you are sure about all circumstances - maybe chosen default decision against detected item is wrong and there can be something better.

In addition, false positive detection is also kind of a mistake. You can to report it here: https://www.f-secure.com/en/business/support-and-downloads/submit-a-sample

My own understanding about "Prompt buttons". There was such a design. But it was changed to a more "user-friendly" one. The user is not required to make decisions where it is not critical or requires action directly from him.

It is indeed mostly nice design. Because otherwise this prompt button producing too many hugs. And prompt button becomes a real hugging prompt button. Which, in principle, can confuse and scare people a little. And also, in some cases, lead to further trouble  (since the "launch" or the process languishes when a decision is made). In situations with real malware, an erroneous decision can be made (clicked the wrong way or somehow), which leads to unintended problems.

Also, usually, it is always with consent (because the behavior is described during/before installation and in settings). In addition, it should give you (as an Administrator of system) an opportunity to override it or to workaround it. For example, by using exclusions. Moreover, fs protection will inform you about this and save the event entry.

I ran Cryptosoftware and yeah okay it flagged as a virus, wrongfully so, but...

Of course, it can be wrongfully. However, a lot of situations (recently and not only) when software is hacked by someone with malicious intent and "safe" good one application became dangerous.

Anyway, is it really a "virus" detection? What is exact detection name with your situation? And is it possible to name Cryptosoftware? Just for my own check (for example).

And, also, are you sure about source of downloading this software? Was it trusted?

In general, fs protection should not completely remove "everything". It depends directly on the degree of risk and the situation. In any case, it is better to handle harmful-rated things automatically. If it's false positive, it's a mistake, of course. And if possible, it is best to inform F-Secure Labs and get confirmation or explanation of this.

Also, if possible, it should be quarantined / blocked instead of permanently deleted.

Thanks!