F-Secure TOTAL and hibernate-status

MMike
MMike Posts: 6 Explorer
edited December 2020 in F-Secure Internet Security

Ladies and Gentlemen!

Because of energy consumption from the aakku during hibernate-status, I reinstalled Win 10 Prof on my Surface Pro (5) from scratch. The loss of energy in hibernate-state was gone. So I continually installed my software-programs. And suddenly the problem was back again. When I close the lid, it looks like as the Surface is going to sleep, but it stays warm and the capacity shrinks. It seems as if F-Secure downloads update during hibernation. Is this a possible issue and if it is so, how could I stop this awarness for updates during hibernation and start it when the computer is in normal action?

with thanks in advance

and regards

Michael

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

I would like to write that I am not very familiar with the Surface Pro architecture and design (I mean whether there is a common edition of Windows or not, and so things). And I might think "is it supported at all"? But since F-Secure (SAFE) was installed, then perhaps it is.

But I just want to ask - is it really pinned only to hibernate mode?  Because, for example, it is supposed to be some 'drain' battery at hibernation.

Also is it hibernation or sleep mode instead? Windows 10 also with some tweaks over the options (like Fast startup) that can be involved. For example, occasional restart/reboot system can be useful against some stuck points and cycles (instead of shutdown / hibernate or sleep).

It seems as if F-Secure downloads update during hibernation. Is this a possible issue and if it is so, how could I stop this awarness for updates during hibernation and start it when the computer is in normal action?

Actually, I am not sure about the answer for 'background activities' during Windows hibernation/sleep. Perhaps, this should be controlled by the system abilities.

But I do not think that even if F-secure downloads update/install it - there should a real warm/hot state after that.  In addition, usually there is only one auto-check per hour (with small range around) and there is no guarantee that an update will be available for one of the engines (or some of them). Most often, slightly advanced traditional engine (signature-based and around) will receive something. This a bit resourceful but not really too much.

I can to think about point of general troubles with Surface Pro / Windows 10. Something that is not pinned to F-Secure or exact third-party software. However, since of your try with reinstallation and staged installing software - "And suddenly the problem was back again" - maybe it is good to find which one was latest.

It is also a good idea to check and install available drivers. Including battery drivers. I have had experiences with my laptop overheating too much and so - I suspected software, options and system logging - but it turned out that the integrated graphics card could not withstand the load. And for the dedicated video card, after one of the "upgrades" of Windows 10, the driver installation broke (so, not used as a result).

Thanks!

• MMike
    MMike Posts: 6 Explorer

Hello Ukko,

thank you for Your detailed answer. Sorry for my late reaction. I did not realize, that I got an answer.

It is hard work to check, if the problem returns after each installation of software, because I have to wait in hibernate/sleep - mode, if currency lacks after some time.

In Microsoft community the problem is rather frequently discussed, but always with a similar aproach. On matter seems to be, that the WLAN-device avoids sleep mode. There is no possibility to change energybehavior in the particular item in the devicemanager in the Surface. But if, for example an app still wants to be connected to the internet during sleepmode, the WLAN has to keep working. This was the cause of my question.

The Surface is a fine device, but to be unable to send it to sleep without capacity loss is annoying, because just this feature was a cause to buy it, it is not cheap!

One question irritates me, hibernation or sleep. I thought, both are the same, because in German (I am from Austria) the terms in Windows are Stand-by and Sleep. And then there is the term Hybrid-mode , which I can switch off on the Surface. I think this mode matches with Stand by, where the RAM is still in action. A cappacity consumption in this mode is understandable.

Thank You again for Your answer, but I am afraid, I have to cope with the issue.

With regards

Mike

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for your response.

It is hard work to check, if the problem returns after each installation of software, because I have to wait in hibernate/sleep - mode, if currency lacks after some time.

Yes, it is.. not really enjoyable to check.

I mentioned it - just because your words contained such a point that the problem returned after installing the software. And although, perhaps, this is just a coincidence - but what if it really is only a matter of some specific software.

In Microsoft community the problem is rather frequently discussed, but always with a similar approach.

I, actually, read some of the discussions. Which gave me the impression that the power (battery) consumption problem is related to something of the system or some settings.

On matter seems to be, that the WLAN-device avoids sleep mode. There is no possibility to change energybehavior in the particular item in the devicemanager in the Surface. But if, for example an app still wants to be connected to the internet during sleepmode, the WLAN has to keep working. This was the cause of my question.

Well.. I did not try to check it with my Windows laptops. Usually, when sleep/hibernate mode were in use - there was no such specific point or did not lead to this impact. However, I experienced some strange things during sleep or hibernate mode (and I tried not to use more 'blended' options) - but I did not notice connection with F-Secure solutions. But, as a general situation, probably there were some fixes about things around it by F-Secure (long before). I maybe will play with Windows laptops later (to check how it there).

One question irritates me, hibernation or sleep. I thought, both are the same

I just referenced the difference based on this article and generally available options:

Stand-by and Sleep. And then there is the term Hybrid-mode , which I can switch off on the Surface. I think this mode matches with Stand by, where the RAM is still in action. A cappacity consumption in this mode is understandable.

Yes. Maybe "stand-by" is a Sleep mode and "sleep" is Hibernation (or just an extension of another one). Or just one of the options are not available / disable on the device. While Hybrid-mode is perhaps about "both in one"

Also, maybe Surface Pro devices with the use of next thing: Modern Standby | Microsoft Docs and there was a discussion about Surface Pro 7 (troubles with battery): https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/e6w8tm/connected_standbymodern_standby_battery_drain_on/

However, even with their results/thoughts - I can not really suggest something. Rather than to think that maybe trouble is too generic and is not pinned to certain application (or F-Secure solution).

But, maybe, you can to contact F-Secure Support Channels (for example, web-chat; should be available 24/7 when Support Agents are not busy already): https://www.f-secure.com/en/home/support/contact

and to ask whether there is a technical possibility to wake/break Sleep (or so) on your device by updating or not.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info