How to remove an add from Android lock screen

Some how I have got an add on my Nokia 8.1 with android. It started appearing about a week ago. I've got Safe and Freedome on it. I did not install any adds and the I have removed the last installed app. I was not asked about installing the add at any point.

Is there an F-S tool that I can use to remove the add or another way other than resetting the phone?

After seeing the same add 20 time or more it gets more than annoying.

I've run full check with Safe and a couple of junk cleaners without result.

Accepted Answer

• martink
    martink Posts: 427 Influencer
    Answer ✓

Figured it out.

Tried a couple of add blockers. No help either. They did not identify the culprit.

Even though the device was locked it allowed to display recent apps. When there was none launched by me the problem was displayed.

It was the QR reader which was recently updated. Apparently just at recently installed was not enough. Should have looked at the recently updated.

That QR reader is certainly misbehaving. It is OK if you install a no charge app to get adds when you run the app. But it is not OK at all if you have not run the app for two weeks, but still get adds every time you unlock your phone.

It would be nice if there were an app (F-S app) that could point out this kind of misbehaviour.

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

It would be nice if there were an app (F-S app) that could point out this kind of misbehavior.

Perhaps, it is so already. Maybe difference is 'admissible / legitimate' state or not of this kind of advertisement. Or maybe as with signatures detection - 'known' or not.

For example, one of my Android devices (old one) only has a small (system) numbers of applications. F-Secure SAFE (beta) application was then installed, and then one 'free' sound application was  installed. Mostly, this device with offline mode.

However, when I tried to use it (some hours?!) with a network connection - I received a block notification from F-Secure that a threat was detected. Fancy point is that 'detected?! advertisement' was shown anyway, because it was visible right under "F-Secure" detection screen. This way  - I was completely confused. What is it?! Why F-Secure application show this kind of advertisement. But I realized (a bit later) that this is actually "detection" is somewhat transmitted to his look instead of detection name.

Anyway, when F-Secure SAFE was uninstalled - the advertisement was probably like in your screenshot - just under the main screen. A little later. By trying to repeat the situation, F-Secure just showed detection (but not "ads within itself).

Maybe F-Secure and other tools do not react against some 'trusted' ones or maybe ignore it under certain circumstances. So, maybe you could try to use their F-Secure SAS page (F-Secure Labs): https://www.f-secure.com/en/business/support-and-downloads/submit-a-sample

with an ability to transfer screenshot / information about application and its potential unexpected adware view (?!). Or to check settings / options within (trouble)Application. What if it is possible to re-configure or to mitigate this behavior.

Thanks!

• martink

Thanks Ukko.

I think displaying adds somewhere other than in the app that wants to display them without telling the user or notifying is misbehaving.

I could not find a place where to stop showing adds on the lock screen. I think there should be or an add blocker of F-S should point out such a feature when it is being used for spamming.

Mitigation in my case was uninstall the problem after I had used it. Simple.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

I think displaying adds somewhere other than in the app that wants to display them without telling the user or notifying is misbehaving.

Yes, perhaps. Actually, I am not so friendly with Android system and its applications. My experience is only limited to some of them (all without advertisements). So, I could not be sure how it works and what is usual design there.

But your words are quite logical about. However, maybe if application is running at background (or so wording) - then it is accidently can to show advertisement maybe with 'its appearance' from application (replacing application itself?!).

I could not find a place where to stop showing adds on the lock screen.

Lock screen is from your screenshot (looks as main screen; or it just was not possible to do screenshot with lockscreen)? At least, my devices with lock screen are not about visible applications' logos or so. If advertisements was indeed under lock screen - it is kind of misbehaving indeed.

Thanks!

• martink

Thanks Ukko

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info