MacOS - Wake up from standby delay

Will_
Will_ Posts: 5 New Member

Hi,

Does anyone else notice that on MacOS (Catalina, 10.15.5 and some previous versions), in combination with F-Secure Safe 17.7 the system has a delay (unresponsive keyboard/touch-id for up to 30 seconds) when waking up from standby/sleep?

Noticed that as soon as I disable real-time scanning it disappeared.

Answers

• ArthurVal
    ArthurVal Posts: 235 F-Secure Employee
    edited July 2020

Hello, @Will_!

Could you please run the "Support Tool" app that is shipped with SAFE and collect diagnostics so that we could take a closer look at the issue?

It's located in the Applications folder alongside the SAFE app. You can submit the diagnostics file with a support request to F-Secure Support team (https://www.f-secure.com/en/home/support/contact). Thanks in advance!

By the way, we have recently released SAFE version 17.8 which contains a number of improvements which could be of help. It is worth checking out if the situation is better with the latest release of SAFE. If you are using an earlier 17.7 version of SAFE with manual update mechanism (build 20591 to be more precise), you can try to manually check for updates by clicking the SAFE menubar app icon and choosing "Check for updates". It should trigger an update check and download the latest version.

Alternatively, you can also download the latest version of SAFE from https://my.f-secure.com by logging in to your F-Secure account.

Best regards, Arthur

SAFE Mac R&D Team

Best regards, Arthur

Mac R&D Team

• Will_
    Will_ Posts: 5 New Member

Hi Arthur,

I've downloaded the most recent version from the XS4ALL portal, but still get Versie 17.7 (31693) F-Secure SAFE by XS4ALL.

The diagnostics tool submits a whole lot of privacy information I see, what exactly would you be searching for?

Are there any known issues? Maybe in combination with running Little Snitch firewall?

• ArthurVal
    ArthurVal Posts: 235 F-Secure Employee

Hey

Alright, got it. So you are using an operator customized version of SAFE distributed by XS4ALL. Looks like they have not yet taken our most recent 17.8 update into use. You could contact XS4ALL and ask if they have plans for taking this update into use in this case.

The support tool collects a lot of diagnostic information. In most cases, it's better to investigate such issues by looking at all available information collected by the Support Tool. So it's kind of hard for me to say what bits and pieces are more important right away. It would be easier and more reliable if we could take a look at the whole diagnostics file. I'm not sure if sharing it right here on the Community forum is a good idea as the diagnostics may contain sensitive information. That is why, I'd recommend submitting it to our support and they will forward it to us.

As far as I remember, there should be no known issues regarding slow system boot. In general, it should be pretty silent and unnoticeable. I haven't made tests in combination with Little Snitch recently. But for sure, Little Snitch would be a subject for anti-virus check by SAFE. We can check one thing right away to see if this behavior is indeed caused by combination of SAFE and Little Snitch. Could you please disable Little Snitch firewall and try to reproduce the issue after that?

Do you by any chance use any other software with similar functionality that monitors system activity? That would be of interest to us if there are any well known and trusted vendors that we can whitelist to not intervene with their apps.

Best regards, Arthur

Best regards, Arthur

Mac R&D Team

• Jaims
    Jaims Posts: 846 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi @Will_

Thank you for contacting us.

Just as @ArthurVal has mentioned, you are using a modified version of an F-Secure product, therefore, XS4ALL is the appropriate support channel to assist you on this, at least firsthand. They have the necessary support resources to handle your issue and they can escalate to the right department if there's need to.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info