RTE has detected freedome?

Gurra1
Gurra1 Posts: 6 New Member

Looks like RTE have updated their player and is now detecting the presence of an active freedome vpn client. Error message is the same regardless of if I pick an endpoint in Ireland or somewhere else.

Both RTE player versions are affected. www.rte.ie/player and beta.rte.ie/player.

Is thre anything you can do to fix this or do I have to get a VPN provider who supports using an IPSec VPN established by the router? 

Comments

• Sethu
    Sethu Posts: 687 Forum Champion

Hello @Gurra1 

Assuming, that you are experiencing streaming issue while Freedome ON. If yes, would it be possible for you to try clear app data( both Freedome and rte player) and check again?

Freedome VPN does support and work if IPSec VPN passthrough function is already confirgured on your router. Click here to see more infromation about Port Configuration for Freedome for iOS.

• Gurra1

@Sethu wrote:

Hello @Gurra1 

Assuming, that you are experiencing streaming issue while Freedome ON. If yes, would it be possible for you to try clear app data( both Freedome and rte player) and check again?

When in Ireland yes. With Freedome off it streams. Just like in the Amazon case, as if the presence of the Freedome VPN network was being detected. The device in this case is a Windows PC, not an Iphone. OS in is Win 8.1

While travelling abroad, streaming works neither with nor without Freedome but error messages are different.

Is there a corresponding procedure to clearing the app cache for your windows client? Clearing browser cache doesn't help, nor using inprivate windows, nor virgin browser trial.

Freedome VPN does support and work if IPSec VPN passthrough function is already confirgured on your router. Click here to see more infromation about Port Configuration for Freedome for iOS.

VPN passthrough isn't going to help much if the streaming services are detecting VPN presence in the local OS.

• Sethu

Hello @Gurra1 

For Windows User, please try reset the DNS resolve cache to see if that solve the issue. All you need to Open command prompt as an administrator and type the following commands one by one and restart your machine:

ipconfig /flushdns
    netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ipv6 reset

• Gurra1

Hello Sethu,

No go I'm afraid. "Anonymous Proxy Restriction - This content is not available via an anonymous proxy"

I have no proxy configured in the browser settings, it is just configured for autodetect.

• Sethu

Hello @Gurra1 

Based on the error message, it's likely you have hit a geo-block. I hope you have already performed the given steps in my previous post and the Freedome ON, Selected Ireland as virtual server, but the issue still remain. Let me check this with Freedome team and I will get back to you with the results of my enquiries.

• Gurra1

Yes, everything tested except app cache clear given that I don't have a mobile phone installation.

Off works in Ireland, On does not. Ireland is selected.

• Sethu

Hello @Gurra1 

Our backend team said it is becoming increasingly common for media steaming websites to block viewers who use VPNs bypass geo-restrictions placed on their services. Prime examples include Hulu, US Netflix, and BBC iPlayer.

The reason for such blocks is almost always because copyright holders want to maximize their profits by artificially segregating the world market. We expect customers to respect the terms of third-party services that they access via our services. The Terms of Service for F-Secure Freedome can be found here.

On a side note, it may also a temporarily block and you can wait for sometime i.e a weak . Or you could contact the streaming company to change their VPN blocking policy.

• Gurra1

I suspected you would give me the standard reply on this.

Rather than having to go for a different VPN provider do you have any plan at all to support router IPSEC VPN connections to work around this increasingly common issue?

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info