Fsecure won't allow me to view "multiple items" it thinks are infected

My installation of Fsecure has just flagged up "multiple items" that it believes are infected with "Adware.ADWARE/iBryte.Gen7".

Unfortunately, there appears to be no way I can actually see what the "multiple items" are, because it's not listing them separatley anywhere.  All I can apparently do is restart to allow Fsecure to remove what it believes are infected files.

I don't want Fsecure to do this until I've had a chance to confirm what it intends to delete - because I've had false positives being blocked and quarantined before - causing system issues in the process.

How do I do this?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello @Mike2001 

The detection "ADWARE/iBryte.Gen7" is considered a form of adware, a type of malware that runs on your computer to present unwanted advertising without your consent. It is usually annoying but harmless, unless it is combined with spyware or trackware. ADWARE/iBryte is considered a web browser add on that silently installs on your browser as a plugin or extension without your knowledge.

You could try first clearing the browser's cache, cookies and browsing history and reset the browser settings. If the issue remain, you can then try uninstall and re-install the browser to check if the adware issue is resolved.

• Mike2001
    Mike2001 Posts: 9 Explorer

After some investigation, it removed 4 registry settings.

1 reset my Windows Update settings to automatic instead of manual (Windows 7)

2 related to hiding files and hiding protected system files

1 related to activedesktop changes.

Keys were (S-ID in HKEY/USERS is my own user account) : 

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-990407270-3225546704-1913417921-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "Hidden"=1

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-990407270-3225546704-1913417921-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "ShowSuperHidden"=0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]
    "AUOptions"=2

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoActiveDesktopChanges"=1

I user Ghostery, Adblock and AdblockPlus to screen and block every advert, trackers etc.  I have no extensions installed that I haven't added myself, and there are no extra plugins or components installed in Chrome.  No websites are allowed to install or access anything without permission first.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello @Mike2001 

This is something we need to analysis the diagnostic report logs to find more about virus removal. So please contact our F-secure Support for further assistance.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info